Ferrari Forums banner

Ferrari Drive by Wire

3K views 7 replies 0 participants last post by  Thibaut A. 
G
#1 ·
Just curious, are any of the c

Just curious, are any of the current Ferrari models drive by wire?

Drew

G
#2 ·
Not that I know of.

IMO the

Not that I know of.

IMO the less Ferrari plays with electronics the better off the buyers are. Unless they let Germans or Japanese do all the designing and building. They have a history of getting things far afield from F1 & Concept to street cars.

Instead of worrying about the throttle they need to first learn how to keep a battery from going dead.

G
#3 ·
I too, hope that Ferrari doesn

I too, hope that Ferrari doesn't go the "too electronic" route. I buy older Ferraris because I can work on them...........I would never own one, if I had to rely on the dealer for all of the service.

Look at what a used, after warranty, MB 500-600SL, or BMW 645i, goes for......CHEAP!!!!!!! People are just afraid of the cost of problems. Those that can accept the depreciation, will always buy new, and get rid of the car before the warranty expires. I, for one, cannot accept the lost in depreciation.

While I like the newer cars, 360 and 550, I would NOT buy one with the F1 trans.

If Ferrari goes too high tech, then I will never own a newer one........thank goodness that the older ones are still beautiful!!!!!!!!

I guess that I will just have to save up for my next Ferrari........an F40!!!!!!!!!!

G
#4 ·
I'm with you Henry. Part o

I'm with you Henry. Part of the "Joy of ownership" for me is to be able to tinker and learn how my car works. Not as easy on the newer cars.

An F-40 would rock!!!! I'll settle for a 348 though.

JL

G
#5 ·
I fully share your views.
Eve

I fully share your views.
Even MB has A LOT of problems with on-board electronics on their new SL, E ans S class.
Beyond the terrible reliability issues for a new car, there is clearly a long term survival question here : in 20 years, it's highly likely that a 250 GTO or a daytona would still be maintainable. A 550 or 355 may be but unsure.

For an SL which carries so many eletronic gizmos (requires TWO batteries to keep going), IMO this will never be the case. Even now it's impossible to get updated SATNAV software for a car that's 3 years old !!!!!!!!

Buy now the future classics because the newer one will simply be unusable pieces of junks when the computers will fail.

G
#6 ·
<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quot

<blockquote><hr size=0><!-quote-!><font size=1>quote:</font>

any of the current Ferrari models drive by wire? ....
Not that I know of. <!-/quote-!><hr size=0></blockquote>Umm, the 360 is, has been since 2000. Enzo, and every new model will be.

G
#7 ·
I thought maybe the Enzo's

I thought maybe the Enzo's might have adopted the fly by wire but wasn't sure. If the 360's have also adopted this new electronic function I feel sorry for 360 owners in the near future. Ferrari's abilities with things electrical are infamous.

G
#8 ·
Aren't you required to hav

Aren't you required to have drive by the wire in order to have the F1 gearbox ?
I guess you need it to regulate throtle input on upshift and downshifts. This would mean some 355 also have drive-by-wire ?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.