Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The rubber parts on the dash/c

The rubber parts on the dash/console on my 1999 456GTM have become sticky and the black rubber comes off on your fingers and hands. This includes the AC vents, the side window outside mirror covers, the trim around the switches in the center console, the ashtrays including the lid, the trim around the dash switches. This same problem happened to my 1989 348TS. Shame that Ferrari cannot fix a problem in 10 years. I am thinking to replace most of the parts. Anyone have the same problem? Ferrari says you should not put armor all on the parts. B.S. of course, there has been no armor all used, ever. When I removed the bad rubber parts on the 348TS the back side, never exposed to the air, was just as bad as the front. Suggestions would be appreciated. If you have had the same problem I would like to hear from you.
Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The Only solution so far is to

The Only solution so far is to either replace or strip the parts in solvents. The Non Use of Armoral is NOT BS IMO. Not using Armoral might not prevent the problem completely, but it sure slows it down. In fact, the Factory Owners Handbook (AKA- OHB) says to use Mild Soap & Water & a Soft Cloth. Maybe the Factory at least got that part right, I think they did. The Soft Touch/Velvet Touch (heard it called both from F reps & PF reps) is going to desinigrate IME with these later model cars & the only solution unfortunately is to buy all new Factory replacements or Strip the old parts carefully & repaint. Removing & Stripping & Replacing all the plastic parts is not fun or easy, but you will save some money (if you do it yourself) and come out with a longer lasting product if done carefully. The Tip of the Day for those who want to do this themselves is to use paint with alot of elastimer in it. The type used on rubber or plastic bumpers (your body shop/body shop paint supplier will know what you are talking about).

HTH's

JRV

1 - 2 of 2 Posts