Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to all, I am an old Duca

Hello to all, I am an old Ducati guy, and have always wanted a Ferrari. A local dealer has a one owner 84 308 GTS QV, with 31,000 km on the clock and service records. The interior and engine bay is slightly dirty, but the car seems to run fine. A belts / valve adjustment is part of the price. Forseeable work is mainly cosmetic, but a new exhaust may be in the future. Aside from the qualified mechainic taking an independant look at it, the QV seems to be a better version of the 308 and an 84 seems to be an OK choice.

A carbed 79 GTS with a new clutch and belts is also available, but it has been tracked and there is some minor rust bubbling at the join between the rearmost roof pillars and the body. I don't want to think about the rust issue so that one I may pass on.

I understand the concept of preventative maintenance, and a proactive approach to vehicle care (the Ducatis have taught me this). My simple question is whether the cars are reasonably reliable and about ease of maintenance. Easy stuff like swapping fluids, is one thing, but how hard are belt swaps, changing alternators and water pumps. What major services require the removal of the engine from the car (ie something I won't do myself).

Thansk to all for any insight.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Look inside the engine bay. T

Look inside the engine bay. Their is not a lot of room their, especially when compared to most front engined cars. Add that the engine is sideways and the front cylinder bank can be tough to work with.

The '84QV is definitly better than a '79 car. The 78 and later cars had emmisions 'tuning' and less agressive cams. A local '79 GTS owner rode in my '77GTB and said for sure that my car has more power than his (and his is in tune and in great shape).

The '84 cars were the first to have any real rust proofing and the QV has 235 BHP vs the '79's 205 BHP (or less depending on who you talk too).

The cars are very reliable, especially the later injected cars. Start great in just about any weather. HOWEVER, parts are expensive, even parts from the 'discount' places like Ferrari UK and T-Rutlands are not cheap. To do the belts alone on my car it's going to cost me $300+ in belts/gaskets/bearings/seals alone. On any regular car the parts would be less than $100.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi John,

Our 85 QV has b

Hi John,

Our 85 QV has been very reliable. Changing the fluids is no different than any other car. Yes the parts are way more expensive than your Ford or Chevy. But, they don't exactly give you the same happy feeling as a Ferrari either.

Changing the belts (water,A/C,alt) are not that complicated. The water pump is pretty much on top and easy to get to. The alternator looks like a real PITA to get out. I am sure JR has a method that has been crafted over the many years of working on these cars. Any "project" requires the disassembly of the car to reach the targeted area.

I have had the 'bug" since I was 12 years old. So, the cost of the parts and not so easy maintenance issues don't really bother me so much. At the end of the day I still have a Ferrari in the garage and not very many people can say that.

JL

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the encouragement.

Thanks for the encouragement. I debated whether I might buy an 84-89 911 Carrera instead, but I know I would just think about the Ferrari. In addition, the Ferrari is only moderately more expensive than a nice condition coupe. Anyone know whether a North American spec 1984 308 QV should have foglights and a prancing horse on the grille? Maybe not with the bigger US spec bumpers, but if it should have, that is evidence of some "modification".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
NA 308's I don't belie

NA 308's I don't believe had fog lights or the emblem on the grill. But we are talking about Ferrari here. If you had the money and stroke, they would put whatever you wanted on there. More than likely it was added by the owner at the time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
For sake of thoroughness, I lo

For sake of thoroughness, I looked at the '79 carbed car again. The '79 is much cleaner in the engine bay than the QV, has a new rubber, clutch, belts, brakes and water pump. The valves have also been set. I am not 100% certain the car has been tracked, but the halon extinguisher on the passenger floor suggests it. The only other issue is a bit of paint bubbling on the seam between the roof and the rear fender (both sides) - about the size of the nail on your index finger. Black interior and exterior (the interior is excellent). The car also has a tubi exhaust for the back half. It's also about $5000 cheaper than the QV but has about 60,000 km, as opposed to the 31,000km on the QV. Are the carbed cars much more of a pain?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The fire extinguisher may have

The fire extinguisher may have just been added in case of engine fire from cats or ruptured fuel hose since these cars are getting up in age a quite a few have become carbques from ruptured fuel lines

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looked at the '79 in more

Looked at the '79 in more detail, and drove the 84 QV. No contest. The '79 GTS has been tracked, to the point that it has stress fractures on the body, where the rearmost roof pillars attach to the rear fenders. Odd. In comparison, the QV is tight, rust free and doesn't smoke when you start it from cold. Just a bit dirty in the engine bay. Not a bad project.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Excellent choice John. I have

Excellent choice John. I have been very happy with our QV. Get a PPI before you buy. These cars are very intricate and it takes a trained eye to spot possible trouble spots. Money well spent IMO.

JL

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
John - having owned 2 carb&#39

John - having owned 2 carb'd 308's, an FI 2 valve version, and currently an 84 QV all I can say is - BUY THE QV. They are so much more user friendly, reliable, and relatively easy to perform routine maintnenance on. Mine has 64,000 miles and drives pretty much like it did 10 years ago (which is great!).

1 - 10 of 10 Posts