Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Corvette Owner. Strong intere

Corvette Owner. Strong interest in 308's and 328's. Curious as to various fire issues that have been noted over the years. Is there a common explanation for these fires which all seem to start in the engine area? Anyone with an FLA car to sell, don't hesitate...prefer red/tan or black/tan at reasonable prices.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Fire usually cause by an old,

Fire usually cause by an old, leaking, or crack fuel line or sometimes improper vented fuel tank.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Do yourself a BIG favor and do

Do yourself a BIG favor and don't use a dry chemical extinguiser on a car fire. it will cause serious corrosion damage to plated metal parts, and wiring harness connectors. Use HALON or the newer foam bottles only. I had a fire on my Williams F1 car and the damage caused by the dry chemical was greater than the fire damage. Never again. No DRY chemical.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
"my Williams F1 car "

"my Williams F1 car "

Bob, you and I definitely need to get together...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jeremy, Sorry, sold the Willia

Jeremy, Sorry, sold the Williams. FW07, it went back to England. But, got a nice Radical SR-3 that is almost track ready. I'm near Charlotte, NC.
Where "yall" at.
PS. after the Williams caught fire at Laguna Seca, It required a total rebuild mostly because of the corrosion from the dry chemical. And, it was washed instantly after the fire was out. WHAT A MESS. Big tears on that deal. But, many stories on how that car tried to kill me many times.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hello There Bob! This is Jeff

Hello There Bob! This is Jeff....that looney fellow that picked up that massive enclosed trailer about 18 months ago. That thing was so big it had it's own zip code! So you SOLD the Williams car eh? If you have time can you post a pic of your SR-3? I too will heed your advice about not using a dry-chemical extinguisher.

P.S.: And thank you again for being so helpful and generous to Karen and I.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Jeff,Yep! I remember Yall,

Hi Jeff,Yep! I remember Yall, still smile about that deal. But, you got it done. Great looking Fcar, how is it running? Might be time for a Road trip with Karen, and come visit us and the SR-3.
And please guys, get a halon or foam fire bottle. you will not believe the damage a dry chemical fire bottle will do to your plated parts and wire harness connectors. Trust me on this one.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Here's the deal on fires..

Here's the deal on fires......

A quick review of the fuel system on our 308GTBs shows a huge amount of delivery, vent and couplings used to assemble various metal tubes of the system..

On any used car purchase a total review as to condition should accur and it's almost easier at that time for peace of mind to replace them ALL!!!

After that, as long as a thirty rodent doesn;t sneak in for a bite, you are good!

Always a good idea to carry a fire unit in case of accident but the ones you see "burst into flames" are due to cracked lines undetected until the Big Boom!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Here's the deal on fires..

Here's the deal on fires......

A quick review of the fuel system on our 308GTBs shows a huge amount of delivery, vent and couplings used to assemble various metal tubes of the system..

On any used car purchase a total review as to condition should accur and it's almost easier at that time for peace of mind to replace them ALL!!!

After that, as long as a thirty rodent doesn;t sneak in for a bite, you are good!

Always a good idea to carry a fire unit in case of accident but the ones you see "burst into flames" are due to cracked lines undetected until the Big Boom!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts