Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With my new home a just a few

With my new home a just a few months from completion, I've been thinking about what to paint the garage floor with...

I used a Sherwin-Williams two-part commercial epoxy paint in my current shop, and have not been pleased with the way its held up. Brake fluid, if not removed immediately, causes it to stain...and there are discoloration marks where the hot tires have been sitting.

Anyone have any first hand experience with a truly durable product?

Regards,
David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi David, how's the new h

Hi David, how's the new house?

I've had terrible luck with painting garage floors.

One of our gasoline distributors who has a number of convience stores show me something the other day in a new store he will open this Monday that I really liked and I think would be perfect for a garage. Basically, he installed a concrete floor in the convience store then had it diamond polished. It looked really good, shiny but not slick, which is important for slip and fall incidents. I have to go over there on Monday and I'll take a few pictures and get some additional information. I really liked the way it looked and thought about seeing if my painted garage floor could be refinished like this. This can't be new technology and I doubt it is that expensive; probably more than paint but less than tile. I've never heard this process discussed in garage floor threads before as far as I can remember.

Drew

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Drew,

The new home is movin

Drew,

The new home is moving along nicely, with just a few bumps along the way...Hope to be moving in sometime in August.

Funny thing about the tile suggestion: I just saw that look at my local BMW dealer in their service bays. Looked good, but I could help wonder what happens if you drop something heavy on them. Seems like it would be a pain to replace a tile...

My biggest concern is the porosity of the concrete...and the Brake-Kleen that I use so frequently eats thru the typical concrete sealers.

I'd be real curious to see those photos and your client's comments.

Here's the new shop...with radiant heat in the floors. The "garage" is another part of the structure.

Regards,
David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Beautiful David!!!!!

Short

Beautiful David!!!!!

Short of epoxy coating, Griots Garage purports to have some effective 2 part paint that lasts. I think Eastman also has some lines of paint worth lookuing into.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
David....Wow, what a shop!

David....Wow, what a shop!

You might want to check these guys out www.ucoatit.com Unfortunately, I do not have any experience with them, but I always see their ad in Hemmings....

Anthony

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
David,

I stopped by the sto

David,

I stopped by the store and talked with the owner. What he did was pour a slab, just like your garage. He had a cotractor come in and cut marks in the concrete so it looked like large 3'X 3' tiles, fill them with epoxy and then diamond sand the floor. It is smooth and shiny but not slippery. The contractor that did it was a local guy that does the fancy stamped concrete that gives the brick look. I'm going to see if he can remove the old paint on my garage floor and surface it like the convience store floor.

I'm going to try to post some pictures here.

Drew

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The problem with cement floor

The problem with cement floor paint in a garage is tire heat. I used a two part epoxy that was down in a warehouse where fork lifts and heavy loads cross it everyday without incident. Put it on the floor here, and the paint melts under hot tires, then adhering to the tires. Once that paint surface is broken, then the fluids seep under it and lift it more. Consequently, what works in high traffic areas isn't necessarily good under hot tires.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi there. Have a look at my fr

Hi there. Have a look at my friend's recently completed new garage. logos are vinyl with a coloured resin top coat.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I used H&C xylene based st

I used H&C xylene based stain. No ill effects over the last 6 years

It is also used on pool decks.

aehaas

1 - 10 of 10 Posts