Ferrari Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
After changing my gear oil I&#

After changing my gear oil I've noticed a pretty good leak that must be coming from one of the plugs, should I put some teflon type sealer on the plug? Any brand recommendation?

I am sure I have them fairly tight so I don't want to tighten anymore to risk stripping the threads

Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Hi Jeff,
I ran into the same

Hi Jeff,
I ran into the same problem on my BB, after a service. I seriously doubt teflon tape would be of any benefit, as the threads are not of an interference type (i.e. NPT). It's pretty important that you use a new copper washer...and that the hex head plug is in good condition. If not, they are readily available from most Ferrari dealers for under $5.00.

I use an 12mm allen driver on the end of a 18" long wrench to tighten these plugs. You need to apply enough force to compress the copper washer, which is fairly high. I do it by "feel"...sorry no torque figure.

If you can't source a copper washer, I've had good luck with fibre ones, though the torque required to seal is a bit less.

Regards,
David

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
I think you are right on David

I think you are right on David about the washer, I dont recall if it had one on it and I missed it, or if it did and I reused it, I'll get a new washer asap, Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Follow up

The plug did have

Follow up

The plug did have an aluminum crush washer on it but was slightly warped causing the leak

Pep Boys had a copper washer set for oil plugs 22mm which was identical to the OE aluminum washer

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Follow up on Follow Up?

Wel

Follow up on Follow Up?

Well it seems Ferrari uses aluminum for a reason, the copper washer still leaks and I dont want to tighten anymore to risk thread damage, the aluminum will crush easier which I got from a local Porsche repair shop, time to replace again

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Jeff,

I'm a bit puzzle

Jeff,

I'm a bit puzzled...
In 25 odd years of Ferrari ownership, I've never seen an alu seal ring used anywhere on the motor or transaxle. In my BB engine overhaul kit, all the seal rings were copper. I must say that the some of the plugs took a bit more torque than I was initally comfortable with to stop the seepage.

I do agree that alu will crush easier...and hopefully will seal better for you. It's always the simplest of things that mae these cars a bit frustrating, eh?

Regards,
David

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
I had an oil drip under my Box

I had an oil drip under my Boxer, this summer. It wasn't large, but annoying. It leaked from the oil drain plug beneath the engine. I tightened it some, and the leak became smaller. I finally had to tighten it MORE than I thought it should be...but only then did the leak go away......it had a copper gasket.

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
To clear things up...Ferrari u

To clear things up...Ferrari uses copper as the stock sealing rings, Porsche and I use the Aluminum so that crush & sealing is effected easier & before the pans crack, which they are very prone to do, especially when re-using the old washers.

I NEVER EVER re-use an oil pan sealing washer of copper or aluminum. The risk of cracking a pan is very high doing so.

Regards, JRV

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
JRV: You sold me on this. I

JRV: You sold me on this. I will get some Aluminum washers!!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter #10
JRV thanks for the clairificat

JRV thanks for the clairification

David,

The Copper probably would have sealed fine if I tightened it harder but I had visions of stripping the pan so I am a little over cautious I guess, you are right about the little things, Ferraris are a different beast, I reused crush washers for years on my previous 911s never had a problem with leaks.

All of the sealing rings were aluminum I took off though

G

·
Discussion Starter #11
I always anneal (heat it u

I always anneal (heat it up with a torch and slowly let it cool)the copper washer, even if it is a new one. That makes it soft and alot easier to crush.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts