Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am trying to buy my first Fe

I am trying to buy my first Ferrari and I am getting frustrated dealing with Ferrari owners. They think they can get dealer money for there cars. I talked with an authorized Ferrari dealer yesterday and asked him how the market was on older F-cars. He told me that It was a buyers market and that he turns down most of the older cars he is offered. He said If I could afford It I would be better off buying a car built after 1995 since It would have power steering.

I'm willing to pay a fair price for a car but I can't overpay since I only keep my cars 18 to 24 months. I can't afford to take a huge hit. I know I will lose some money am I'm okay with that. If I don't find a car soon I'm going to give up my dream and go back to the world of Porsche which I know well since I haved owned 5 of them.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
>>He said If I could a

>>He said If I could afford It I would be better off buying a car built after 1995 since It would have power steering. <<

wouldn't you be better off with on 03 or 04..they have power steering AND a warranty...lol.

If your getting pissed off at Ferrari owners are you sure you want to become one?

Didn't someone here say they had a Spyder in your price range? Spyders have the Challenge chips in the puters...very quick cars.

Last, to get a good ferrari at the price you want to pay, almost always involves travel.

Regards, JRV

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Travel for sure. I had to go t

Travel for sure. I had to go to Florida to get mine. Finding the right car, and the right seller takes time and effort. I looked for a good two years before I found the right match. Frustrating at the time, but well worth it looking back.

JL

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote: "They think they c

Quote: "They think they can get dealer money for their cars."

Where is it written that a PO has to take less than the dealer? Those who do, are "motivated" sellers. It seems that there are VERY few "motivated" sellers, when it comes to Ferraris........most want top dollar.

If you take away those non-motivated sellers, I feel that it is NOT quite the "buyer's" market that people are stating. In a true buyer's market, I doubt, that one would have to look for 2 years and travel across the country, to find one.......as Jerry had experienced.

I feel that the new ones are not selling that fast, because most sellers are upside down on their loans, thus can't afford to take a reasonable offer. Those that aren't, are financially well off, basically, and don't really need to sell the car......."Oh, if I can get $XXXXX for my car, then I will sell it"!!!!!

In regards to the older cars, it is VERY hard to find a "good" one........and if you do, you will pay for it, just like at the dealers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I live in Southern California

I live in Southern California where there are more Ferrari's than In most states. Are you trying to tell me I have to go out of state to find a car.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Don,

You will just have to

Don,

You will just have to find the "motivated" seller........if he is not in CA, then you may have to travel.

When I had my 88 TR for sale, last year, I got 2 calls from guys in CA, both stating that it was a buyer's market!!!! If so, why call me?......I live in WI!! I asked one of them why doesn't he just buy one in CA, and he told me he couldn't find one........go figure. I assume there are a lot more newer cars for sale, there......NOW, to find that motivated seller!!!!!!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Funny, I would avoid power ste

Funny, I would avoid power steering like the plague, and as far as spending two years to pull the trigger? Can't even imagine...I bought, a 348 SS and a Diablo both within 3 months, Both of them very low milage and like NEW. One was bought sight unseen. The fact is if you want a car bad enough, you can find exactly what you want fast, keep your eyes on E-Bay, cars.com, Hemmings, and all dealers have web sites now with inventory.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Raymond. Two years, most of

Hi Raymond. Two years, most of which was research and market watching.
I drove about 2-3 of each model (carbs, gtsi, and QV's). I wanted to experience all of them before I went and put my money down. But I have never been one to rush a decision.

JL

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I too, like Raymond, have had

I too, like Raymond, have had no trouble buying a Ferrari.........of course, all 8 where bought on impulse, right on the spot!!!!!!!!!!

I did learn one thing: Buy a car that is on consignment, from a dealer. The dealer checks the car, before he takes it on consignment, and you are dealing on price with the motivated seller, and NOT the dealer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Well...maybe on consignment to

Well...maybe on consignment to a Ferrari dealer. Out here in CA there are automotive consignment shops hither and yon which will take in cars, set the price the owner wants and then markup the car to whatever they want to get from it. They tend to pay very little attention to condition other than to detail the car. Some are pretty fair guys, some have the scruples of a used car salesman, which is baically what they are.

Ferrari dealers are considerably more exacting in the evaluation of their cars. Ferrari owners are, after all, a small community and the authorized dealers must protect their reputation. They are, by and large, dealing with some fairly affluent, sophisitcated customers. These consignment shops are merely used car lots and most should be treated as such. Caveat Emptor.
By the way I do agree that sometimes finding THE right car takes ages. My recent Boxer search took around 4 months, alot of phonework and a number of test drives of different cars. If you want a good deal on a good car, patience is essential. You'll know the right one when you see it but it may take awhile to get to it. As in most things, careful preparation takes the day.
Steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hello donaciano,

Exactly wh

Hello donaciano,

Exactly what are you interesred in?
a 328,348?
Feel free to give me a call at 636-273-6774 or e-mail me at [email protected]. I would be happy to help you locate a car.
As Jeremy said it is a daunting experience, but there are many nice cars out there.

Chuck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I just finished a 2200 mile tr

I just finished a 2200 mile trip! It was exhausting for the gf and I but we saw lots of cool stuff, went to Mario's winery and met a lot of new friends.

Got a good deal on the car IMO, froma private owner who I think was just at th stage of his life to let it go. Kinda sad about that part but he seemed really glad it went "back on the road".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hello Alan,

You are the man

Hello Alan,

You are the man!!!
A lot of owners are afraid to put that many miles on their car in a year.
I had a buyer drive a 308 from Dallas to S. Carolina which I believe was around 1500 miles.

Chuck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
We drove our 85 QV from Jackso

We drove our 85 QV from Jacksonville Florida. I believe it was 1100 miles. We made a few stops along the way as well. We even stopped in New Orleans for a nice drive with their local Ferrari club. A great time until I developed an exhaust leak in Lake Charles. I didn't know what it was, but it didn't sound very good.

JL

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Chuck,

I'm not having a

Chuck,

I'm not having a hard time finding cars.The problem Is the sellers want top retail for vehicles that aren't properly serviced or they are garage queens that have never been sorted.
I'm willing to pay a fair price but I can't overpay due to the fact I only keep my cars 18 to 24 months. I don't mind losing some money that's to be expected. I just don't want to take a huge hit.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
donaciano, What are you intere

donaciano, What are you interested in?
The most important thing is to find a car you are comfortable with, whether it is at a dealer or elsewhere.
If you are not comfortable with the car, price does not matter.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don,

Sellers wanting top re

Don,

Sellers wanting top retail for their cars, tells me they are not motivated. Since you haven't given examples of what your "fair price" is, one may conclude that you are just trying to buy a car at a "steal" price........something that you WILL have to travel the country for......and WILL take some time........and not only find a motivated buyer, but one who is financially in trouble. We would ALL like to find such a seller!

Would you mind giving us an example of what you mean by a "fair price", that you are willing to pay???????

Good luck!!!!!!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Henryk,

Here are some examp

Henryk,

Here are some examples of cars I have made offers on In the last 4 weeks:

1. 1991 348ts Grigorio with Red Interior. The car has had 4 owners with some service records. The 30k service is currently due. The car has 31k miles. Paint and body are above average. Interior needs a little touch-up. The car has Speedline rims and Tubi exhaust. The asking price was 51k. I offered 46k. He turned It down.

2. 1994 348 Spyder red with tan 28k miles. This is a 3 owner car with some service records. 30k service Is overdue. The car overall Is an 8. Asking price is 69k. I offered 64k. The owner turned It down.

3. 1994 348ts red with tan 13k miles. Car had the 30k 3 years ago. The car is a 9 overall. This is a 2 owner car with books and records. Asking price 64k. I offered 57k. My offer was refused.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
they're just playing with

they're just playing with you to see if you'll cave in...
...they suspect, as I do, that you're in a hurry, and they can put some extra $$$$ in their pockets just by sweating you out...what tips them off is that you have offered too much already number one...and they can probably read you number two.

see if they still have the cars next month around the 15th...this is simply a game of cat & mouse...you just have to decide which one you want to be.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I know this is kind of general

I know this is kind of general but it's true, when selling a car, your first offer is usually your best.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts