Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was my third summer with

This was my third summer with the 83 Boxer........with NO problems during the last two. I ran it, initially, in April of this year, only to be towed back home after about 10 miles. It quit running!

First, I thought it was a fuel problem. I removed the intakes, to get at the WUR, etc., and did all kinds of pressure tests, and fuel delivery tests, on the car.........all was OK.

I then started on the ignition system. Wire Ohm readings where OK, however, the mechanical advance was frozen and the center carbon rod was broke, and frozen in the distributor cap.

I replaced the distributor cap, cleaned up the rotor, machined new bushings for the advance mechanism and freed it up. I also replaced all the plugs with a platinum design.

After starting the car, I checked for fuel leaks and took it out today. It ran FINE!!!!!!!....lucky me!!!!!!!!!

The moral of this is simple: Have the Boxer distributor checked and lubed yearly.

Now I can get back to finishing the TR!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Woooohooo! Why are you on the

Woooohooo! Why are you on the internet then?
Get her out on the road!!!!

JL

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jeremy: You are right........

Jeremy: You are right........BUT, one does need a break every now and then!!!!!!!!!!........reason for posting.

I put over 100 miles on the car so far, this weekend, so far. I plan on putting over 100 miles on it tomorrow.

Next weekend, I plan on going to Chicago..........about 500 miles round trip. My favorite nephew is moving into his new home this week.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
am so happy your car is runnin

am so happy your car is running...mine may be finally fixed this week....it appears it had a sporadic alternator problem that occured under load, and not consistently enough. The two alternators are being rebuilt, and hopefully I will have it back this coming week..I suggested the alternator problem to them as Fran Parker told me he had a problem with his.,..but they could never make the alternators malfunction in the shop....now they did and they seem to think they have the problem finally fixed...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just put over 300 miles on my

Just put over 300 miles on my car........got it back from the detail shop, today.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Awesome! Glad to hear she&#39

Awesome! Glad to hear she's back on the road. Now let's get that TR up and running again.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
It is gorgeous. Are these rea

It is gorgeous. Are these real shields or decals? I love the color. Same interior as mine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Vincent: I am taking a break

Vincent: I am taking a break right now.......from working on the TR!!!!!!!!! I installed the clutch, bell housing, and transfer gear case. Next is the throttle cable, and I should then be able to start it up.

Coach: The shields are of a soft, raised, stick-on type material. The flat "paper" shields, that stick on, didn't look that good.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Henryk...I want to add: dont

Henryk...I want to add: dont forget the alternators....check them once twice three times and especially after running the car for an hour or so..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi.........

Three-ear knock

Hi.........

Three-ear knock-offs [dado a gallettoni per ruota fusa] were original equipment on all Boxers, to my recollection. The DOT required replacement with the octagonal [dado ottagonale] type for "safety" in the United Sates market.

Do you feel safe now ??

The 512 parts catalog lists both types of knock-offs with part numbers.

Frank..........23005
www.masiarz.net/bb_resource

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Frank,

I don't believe

Frank,

I don't believe that is correct. I just looked at an original sales brochure I have (the big orange one) and that car has octogon knock-offs. Also Mel Nichols' book on the Boxer has factory pictures of BB's with octogon knock-off's on pages 115 and 121.

The parts catalog, which I do not have, may list which style knock offs where required by country of destination.

Regards,

Drew

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That's quite odd. My car

That's quite odd. My car came with the three ear knoeck offs. The tool kit did not have an octogonal tool removal tool...i dont think they came any other way but 3 ears knock offs

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Just got back from a family vi

Just got back from a family visit to Chicago. In this past week I put just over 1,000 miles on the Boxer........600 in the last 2.5 days. It purred like a kitten all the way.....even in the 88 degree stop-and-go traffic in Chicago. The engine water temperature ran about 85 deg. C while on the highway, and never got over 100 in the local traffic.

The only problem was the usual one.......loosing some coolant, through the overflow tube, after a nice hot run. It didn't happen after each run. It seems it lost so much, and appears not to do it anymore. The original level was about 2-3 inches below the filler neck......where I believe it should be. I have tried 3 different caps, and find this last one causing less coolant leak. I will investigate the thermostat, next. I think it is not opening all the way.

Coach: I have seen pictures of Boxers with the octagonal nut........it seems that Belgium required them, while most countries allowed the ear nuts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Henryk,

You rule, Boxer roa

Henryk,

You rule, Boxer roadtrip I love it!!!!!

keep on driving!

vincent.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi.......

Not sure about th

Hi.......

Not sure about the three-ear knock-off "thing" now. Thought that the DOT required them in the United States. It would appear that there was a choice at the factory, since there is a part number for each type in the 512 catalog:

1) three-ear = 110524 and 110525
2) octagon = 110526 and 110527

for right and left sides, respectively.

Picture in the parts catalog [159/78] shows only the three-ear knock-off, but it does contain all of the part numbers.

Frank........23005
www.masiarz.net/bb_resource

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.