Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have some professional Lehm-

I have some professional Lehm-Clay from Zymol along with the Lube. As I understand it the car must be freshly washed and dried, so that the bodywork is really clean, and then some Lube is sprayed on a panel and the clay block is gently rubbed over the paintwork.

Has anyone used this clay before? Any tips or warnings or other suggestions? I want to use it on my black 365 Boxer.

Simon in London

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I've used clay quite frequ

I've used clay quite frequently and love the results. Only tip is to keep it wet and don't rub to hard or long in one spot.

Regards, JRV

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Simon...I have used the cla

Hi Simon...I have used the clay bar and it works very well. You do have to wash the car VERY thoroughly first. I wash the TR 2 or 3 times in a row prior to using the clay bar. When your ready to use the clay, spray lube a small area, maybe 12" by 12" or a bit more. Then GENTLY rub the bar over the area, but do not use any pressure...just let the bar do the work. You may feel a little drag or small snags as it pulls dirt and grit from the paint. After you've done the area...feel gently with your fingers to see if you can detect anything. If done correctly the area will be very smooth. If not, then go back over the area as needed. And be liberal with the lube, too much is better than too little. It takes a long time to totally clay bar a car, but the results are worth it. Another hint: On all horizontal surfaces, slide the bar back and forth in the forward/reverse direction of the car, not side to side. And on all vertical surfaces, slide the bar in an up and down motion. This is also a good way to apply wax after you've clay'd the car. People think it's nuts, but doing these things in specific directions helps "cheat" the light and hides and/or prevents swirls and spider-like scratches. There is no way to totally prevent scratches, as each time you wash your car your putting them into the finish. All you can do is keep them to a minimum and then fill them in with a glaze of some kind. The ONLY time a paint job is scratch free is just after it's sprayed on. Hopefully some real detailer-pros will chime in here too.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts