Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This winter I have had a very

This winter I have had a very hard time starting the 365 BB when it has been sitting for a couple of weeks in cold (dry) conditions (35-45 degrees F). Starter motor, fuel pump, and battery are in excellent condition. A couple of times it has taken quite a while to get the engine to catch. Any suggestions ?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
From one 365 owner to another.

From one 365 owner to another....

These are not the easiest cars to start after prolonged periods of sitting. However, they should start and run (reluctantly) after the 2nd or 3rd try.

First of all: This generation of Boxer did not have any choke or cold enrichment device.

So, it is very important that after you tun the key on, you allow enough time for the carb float bowls to fill with gas. You will hear the fuel returning to the tanks when the bowls are full.

Secondly, fully depress the throttle to the floor two or three times...release the pedal, and engage the ignition. The engine should at least attempt to start. If not, wait 30 seconds or so...and repeat the process.

Important things to check:

Accel pumps and jets must work correctly...Nice smooth pump discharge (clean spray with no drips). The discharge from the pump jets are your only cold starting assist, so they need to function 100% for the engine to start reliably.

Spark: Inital advance set correctly. Plugs gapped correctly, and ignition wires in known, good condition.

If you're still using the factory electronic ignition, consider switching over to a MSD, or simmilar high output ignition system.

Hope this helps...

Regards,
David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David, Much appreciate the adv

David, Much appreciate the advice. I normally give it about 45-60 seconds to prime the carbs, then depress the acclerator 3-4 times, before engaging the starter. The engine fires but just does not catch. Sounds like I need to have the pump jets checked. Any other suggestions?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
A fresh set of plugs can make

A fresh set of plugs can make a world of difference. My c4 was acting up,sounded like it wanted to catch but just being stubborn, 12 new plugs and bingo! First turn of the key.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Michael, Thanks I will defini

Michael, Thanks I will definitely check the plugs. My guess is that at a minimum, they are dirty.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
12 new plugs and it a new car.

12 new plugs and it a new car. Starts right up now with just the usual amount of drama. Thanks for all the advice.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Not good. Dirty and not the t

Not good. Dirty and not the type my current mechanic recommends (the plugs date back to the prior owner).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It has ben a long time since I

It has ben a long time since I pulled wreches for a living but some basic things remain the same . Look to simple things first. While our Ferraris can be comlpex cars remember that they are mechanical devices and we should not jump to conclusions re the difficulty of the problem at hand. Be systematic ,fuel, spark , good battery ,everything nice and clean. Not trying to preach but I too sometimes jump the gun and have to take a step back.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.