Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Finally got around to d

Hi,

Finally got around to doing my rear sway bar bushings on my '77 308 GTB.

Now, I am having a problem re-installing the bar. I put the D-bushings on the bar and loosely connected the link arm hardware. I thought it would be easier to slide the link arms over the chassis studs first, then put the D bushing brackets on - seems impossible to get the brackets on this way.

Then, I tried putting the D brackets/bushings on first - seems impossible to then put the link arms over the studs.

Can anyone offer some advice or trick as I really had enough right now!!!!

Thank You,
Anthony

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anthony,

I just finished re

Anthony,

I just finished rebuilding the suspension on my BB yesterday. The sway bar mounting and link set-up is very similar...

The trick, if you will, is to not have the sway bar pre-loaded when you connect the links. So, if you have the car on a lift, jack up the rear suspension (on both sides) equally, so both rear control arms are parallel to the ground.

Installation:

1) d-bushings on bar
2) d-busing brackets loosely installed over bushings
3) loosen sway bar link arms at control arm (do not remove)
4) install washer, spacer and cone bushing on one end of the sway bar
5) lube inside of one link arm (where the cone bushing go), and pivot over the sway bar end
6) install outer cone bushing, washer andlock nut loosely.
7) repeat steps 3-6 for the other side
8) tighten all sway bar hardware

This should do the trick for you...

Silcone spray, or grease on the link cone bushings will ease installation considerably.

Regards,
David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, Dave - I installed new

Thanks, Dave - I installed new silent-blocs, so my link arms are removed. I assembled and lubed acordingly and have the links loosely on the sway bar. The D-bushings are also on the bar - everything is preassembled loosely.

The problem is the car is not on a lift........

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Understood...

I find it is

Understood...

I find it is easier to have the sway end links attached to the control arms....then pivot them on to the sway bar ends. With the car on the ground, the sway bar is close to unloaded, so other than not a lot of room to work with...this "exercise" is still possible.

Good luck,
David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks again, Dave.

I'l

Thanks again, Dave.

I'll try it again with the links on the control arms and see how it works out.......

Thanks,

Anthony

1 - 5 of 5 Posts