Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello from Wyoming!
Finally,

Hello from Wyoming!
Finally, the ice and snow is melting- even down at SCUDERIA RAMPANTE in Boulder, outside Denver- and that means SOON: The first street 550 in the world with a tuned exhaust system of prototype components...will be getting street time, after having a 250GTO cam timing tuned into it (from data by a race team that ran their car on the Nurburgring, as well as at Sebring and Daytona).

I want torque totally "dialed in" to be on call at 3,000 - not have to wait until 4,000, as it now does, after it begins pulling from 3500. And with the 250GTO cam timing on the 550 Tiso block, the corresponding torque increase and mid-range horsepower boost (already coming from the tuned exhaust system engineered by Hyper-flow and Dave Helms of Scuderia) will mean that my car is a threat to safety and security!

Already, the ASR has to be switched off (because the rear brakes were eating themselves up, trying to control the torque-spin of the wheels. Of course, now, the rear tires are being eaten alive!)

The other day, I let a friend drive it. And at 60mph on dry, rough pavement, the rear tires repeatedly lurched from the torque. So, as we came upon some wet pavement, I reached over and re-engaged ASR so my friend wouldn't get "bit" while driving my car.

==================
OK, so here's the new exhaust question.
My car sounds like an ANIMAL
and has improved throttle response, acceleration, torque and higher horsepower.
But it's a little too loud for polite company
http://www.laserradio.com/tuned550.rm

I'm now running Quicksilver production mufflers behind Hyperflow tuned cats and x-pipe prototypes.

I'm thinking about unbolting the vacuum- assisted valve flapper and exhaust pipe from each of my old OEM mufflers...and welding them onto the Quicksilvers, so that the valves can be hooked back up to the engine vacuum line!

Nobody has ever done that I'll bet! Take a feature from the Ferrari designed OEM exhaust ( the valve component, presumably designed to boost low end torque by retarding exhaust gas with increased back pressure...until at factory designated rpm, the valve opens back up.)
By doing this, I'd have all the Quicksilver's aftermarket efficiency...AS WELL AS A QUIETER CAR AROUND THE COPS...er COUNTRY CLUB SET)

Anybody got any ideas about this?

I think that Ferrari designed the 550 exhaust valves for a reason (aren't they also on the F-50?) with some design criteria relative to the 550 engine's overall performance curves. So, I'm wondering, "Why not combine the original OEM design for back pressure at lower rpms...with the high-end efficiency of the aftermarket mufflers, using the OEM valves to achieve the low end torque curve...up to 3,000rpm.... where the GTO 250's timing and overall tuned exhaust will make this car SCREAM!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
What do you think?

Are thos

What do you think?

Are those 550 exhaust valves important to low-end performance, or were they just put there to keep the car quiet for Swiss noise standards?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Keep the car quiet under the n

Keep the car quiet under the noise restriction criteria, yet salvage the high rpm power. Contrary to what some believe, back pressure is not neccesary for low end torque. Once the pressure wave is reflected at the header collector, everything after is just for sound; that's what I have read and have been taught -- but I could be misinformed.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts