Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
'74 GT4:
I have removed t

'74 GT4:
I have removed the cam covers and distributors and the base plate holding the oil seal and the coupling piece is still on. How is this piece connected to the camshaft? Do I have to remove the large nut in the baseplate? Or just pull the plate with everything?

Thanks for help
Harry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
>>Do I have to remove

>>Do I have to remove the large nut in the baseplate? <<

What big nut? Can you post a picture?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The bolt/nut in the middle of

The bolt/nut in the middle of the baseplate. I could not find a drawing and do not yet understand how to disassemble.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The dist base plate assembly d

The dist base plate assembly does not slide easily from the camshaft. I hestiated so far to apply more force. Here is a picture of the other side

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Harry,

you do have an ea

Hi Harry,

you do have an early car!!

yes you will need to mark the Distrib Drive then remove the big nut to complete the disaddemble.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The bolt/nut is too tight to g

The bolt/nut is too tight to get it off with a normal wrench in the car. I already can see the timing belts stretch (engine is blocked) and the nuts are not moving. I will pull the studs which hold the distributor base plates and take the whole assembly out with the camshaft. Then I will try an air impact wrench. Problem is that the 24mm nut is not very high, I am afraid to damage it with too much force.

Any other suggestion how to get them loose?

Ferrari probably knew why they changed the design...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Harry,

This is the same dis

Harry,

This is the same distributor drive set-up, as used on my 365BB. Seems that nut was always a pain to get off...and that the torque spec was around 70 lb-ft. I use an air wrench to remove it. The shock will break it free...

Regards,
David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi David,
I have used an air

Hi David,
I have used an air wrench in the car... no success. Now I have the cams out and can use the air wrench and a small amount of heat. I am sure it will be an easy one.

Regards
Harry

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.