Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just started the teardown for

Just started the teardown for my suspension rebuild, all came apart very well at the front until I got to the lower A-frame. The bolts were installed from the outside, requiring removal of the brackets off the frame. After removing the nuts, niether side will budge, I'm tempted to use heat or an air chisel through the shim install slots. What is the best way anyone has found to do this?

Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Bob,

If I'm understandi

Bob,

If I'm understanding you correctly, the control arm is still attached to the U-shaped brackets which go thru the frame rail...Yes?

This is OK...but, to ease removing of the A-frame, it helps to loosen both bolts that secure the U-brackets to the A-frame. Once these bolts are loose...and the A-frame drops under it's own weight, with equal force (not much needed) between the camber shims and the back of the U-bracket, the A-frame will easily pull away from the car.

Regards,
David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
David
Yes the arm is still at

David
Yes the arm is still attached to the u-bracket, I did loosen the bolts attaching the arm to the u-bracket before taking nuts off the u-brackets, it still will not move.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Bob,

now that the A-arm bol

Bob,

now that the A-arm bolts are loose will the arm itself move up & down freely?

I've pulled arms, don't remember them being all that difficult. Sounds like they may just be rusted/corroded into the frame rail. Use PB Blaster on them, let sit for awile, then get a hammer and start tapping on them using some more PB Blaster until you free them up, then knock them out.

HTH's

Regards, JRV

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Bob,

Well, that being the c

Bob,

Well, that being the case...a bit of penetrating oil, and a long pry bar should pop the arm free. I've seen the U-brackets stuck a bit in the chassis holes, but usually it doesn't take much force to pop them free. Another alternative would be to remove the A-arm from the camber mounting points, and apply a twisting force...

I'm not too crazy aout applying heat to the chassis.

Best of luck.

David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes, the arms move freely, I h

Yes, the arms move freely, I have sprayed penetrating oil on a couple of times already, will shoot more on each night, got cold here near Chicago ( 60 on Sunday 20 this morning ) should be warmer this weekend.

The only way at this point to get the bolts out is to cut the heads off, not a lot of room to do that, I agree with applying heat to frame, would be a last resort.

Thanks again

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had one of those chassis yok

I had one of those chassis yokes REALLY stuck. I agree with the previous suggestions - first of all, remove the wishbone/arm..... even if that means cutting the bolts....... then, after you've given it a soak with penetrating oil, try twisting the yoke...... and you can try knocking the shims out and tapping it the other way too in order to try and free it..... Not that this did me much good..... it still wouldn't shift. I ended up cutting the u-shaped yoke from the bolt, drilling it (accurately down the centre) until the wall thickness of the bolt was thin enough to distort and allow it to be tapped out. I'd avoid heat - a gentle warming won't do any harm but it probably won't unfreeze it either. After , cutting the yoke off the bolt, I ground off the welds on the yoke, removed the remains of the bolt, turned a new bolt on the lathe, welded it into the yoke as per the original and then zinc plated it. Removing 2 bolts took more than half the time of dismantling the suspension but even if you can get the arm off the yoke, you need to free the yoke in the chassis or you can't adjust the camber. Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
After 2 weeks of soaking, twis

After 2 weeks of soaking, twisting and cussing, I cutt the heads off the bolts. 2 of the brackets came out after a few twists, 1 was hard and the last one took 3 hours of just barely moving it till it finally came loose. But the damn things are out!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Bob,

Thank you for the u

Hi Bob,

Thank you for the update and feedback also. Like I just mentioned in Carls thread, feedback is very helpful & important.

Crazy that your brackets were that frozen. Congrats on sticking with it and seeing it thru.

Regards, JRV

1 - 11 of 11 Posts