Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there a way to tell if your

Is there a way to tell if your 308 rear shocks are bad? My 77 has the orig. shocks and at times I get a hard thump from the back when I go over some major bumps. There is no sign of leakage and you just can't push on them to see the rebound rate so other then taking them off how could you tell if they are bad. Also what should be the normal setting for city/highway driving. Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
>>at times I get a har

>>at times I get a hard thump from the back when I go over some major bumps.<<

that is one of the signs of a bad shock.

Unless the shocks are frozen causing a skatebord like ride it's difficult to determine if the shocks are shot on the car. If they are original and have never been rebuilt, it's pretty safe to say they may need to be looked at. The ride quality between new shocks and old shocks is quite dramatic.

Regards, JRV

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
OK thanks so what would be the

OK thanks so what would be the prefered way to go. New or get them rebuilt. Also which is the least expensive?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I've heard new Konis are c

I've heard new Konis are cheaper than rebuilding the existing ones and the new ones may carry a lifetime warranty. Some people are opting for some better aftermarket shocks. It will be good to hear how your ride changed when you replaced them.
Mark

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
At the age of those shocks I w

At the age of those shocks I would reccomend replacing all 4..if new are less than rebuilds of course new makes the most sense. With new don't forget to add the cost of bushings..approx. $35 ea x 8.

The cost to rebuild is approx. $135 ea..the link to Koni USA is below in the Resources Secrion.

Regards, JRV

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not sure of the fitments, but

Not sure of the fitments, but Tire Rack shows new Konis as $119 for front, and $150 for rears for the 308.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Steve,

I just had a major s

Steve,

I just had a major service completed on my 1976 GTB. The front shocks were original and the rear shocks were replaced 4 years ago (2 years before I purchased the car). I also experienced those loud thumps from the right front. As I was replacing all my suspension bushings, it was a good time to take out and check the shocks. The right front shock was shot and the left front was on its way. I had both replaced with new Konis and the result was, as JRV said, dramatic.

Barry

1 - 7 of 7 Posts