Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After looking at another BB512

After looking at another BB512i Boxer yesterday, it was suggested by my broker/friend that I look at a 365 Boxer. He said that the 365 may interest me more since it sounds better, is faster, is lighter, revs faster, and is more a drivers car than the 512. From what I have read, everyone seems to recommend the 512 over the 365 since the 512 had numerous upgrades/fixes that make the car much more enjoyable to drive. What are other opinions as to the 365 vs. 512 debate. FWIW, I do enjoy cars that are "raw" and not necessarily comfortable (i.e. 550). However, I do not want to have the "true" exotic experience of a "raw" sports car by being stranded on the side of the road because the car over heated.

Finally, are there any problems that are unique to the 365 Boxer that I should be aware of. I realize these are rare cars, but one may be coming up for sale nearby.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Ken,

Having owned my 365bb

Ken,

Having owned my 365bb now going on 21 years, I could likely write a book answering your question...

First of all, the BBi car and the 365 really cannot be compared fairly. Although similar in appearance, the BBi is much more tamed and civilized. It is a much easier car to drive everyday. Period. The injected cars, with improved radiator placement and cooling fans do tend to run somewhat cooler in traffic. In my opinion, they are considerably mellower to drive than a 365, though still brutally quick.

Yes...there were upgrades done thru the model evolution...and eventually the BB turned into the TR. As to your comments pertained to reliability...well, it has never left me stranded...ever! I can't say that for my previous 308QV or 328GTS. The 365 is not a daily driver, not a commuter car...and in high temperatures, in traffic...get uncomfortably warm (both interior and engine). I am aware of these quirks...and drive the car accordingly.

Maintenance and repairs on the 365 are not for the faint of heart...and both parts costs and most labor operations are intensive. Parts availability overall, I find to be excellent. This is not a difficult car to work, but all repairs take much more time then you might think. This is pretty much true for all the BB models.

As to it's performance...once rolling, raw!. The cable actuated clutch is heavy...but sweet once you're under power. Handling, although good is a bit odd as you have a high rearward center of gravity. Steering feel, except for parking, is light.

Much, much caution is requred here if this is the "right" car for you. If your intention is to have someone else maintain it, deep pockets are in order. If you decide to maintain it yourself, a serious time commitment is in order...Any major engine work, or timing belts require engine removal.

As you may know, there are very, very few 365bb's here in the States...and even fewer folks who have even seen or worked on one. A "bad" bb can be an extemely costly venture.

Best of luck..

Regards,
David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Dave. Your post is act

Thanks Dave. Your post is actually what I was looking for. While I understand maintenance can be costly, I know what I am getting into (I think). Several Boxers I have looked at have bills between $8K and $12K for the 30K major. I will have my mechanic maintain the car, however, I can do the annual flushing of the fluids and other minor work.

I would only drive the car on weekends and put about 2K miles a year on the car. As such, I do not need a comfortable car for daily driving. I drive an Alfa Spider everyday, so comfort is not high on my priority list. If I need comfort for a long drive, I just drive the Rolls.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I owned an early 365 Boxer bac

I owned an early 365 Boxer back in the 70's. It was fun and fast, but experienced several problems. Alternators (3 in one year, possibly due to placement), Dinoplex failure, and shortly after I sold it the gearbox underwent catastophic failure. I recall hearing that the gearbox was redesigned on the 512 to alleviate an inherrent weakness in the 365 version. Perhaps David knows something of this and can elaborate.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To elaborate further on Bill&#

To elaborate further on Bill's comments...

In the very early 365 cars, most were equipped with a Magnetti-Marelli alternator...which were more prone to failure than the later cars which had Bosch alternators...

Dinoplex failures: Well, yes... not a strong point on the car. The prior owner went thru a few and I had one failure. I still have a new (less than a month of use) Dinoplex for the car. I've been running an MSD unit now for about 20 years without a problem.

As to the gearbox failure issues...Again, the very early cars were more prone this this problem than the later cars. Also, the early gearboxes used an odd synchro type...and rebuild parts are virtually unavailable. Ferrari orginally specified 5.75 litres of oil for the gearbox...then later realized that the ring/pinion assemblies were failing due to lack of oil. Although a revised oil "dip stick type tube" was specified as an update, these parts are few and far between. So...capacity was increased to 7.75 liters for all future 365's and 512's cars. Extended periods of abuse and/or low gearbox oil levels can lead to excessive play in the differential carrier bearings...which ultimately leads to catastropic differnetial failure. Usually, when this occurs, the transmission main shaft fails, as well.

Also, the mid to later production 365bb's used stronger, larger differential side carrier supports.

Even with care, and correct oil levels, the differential carriers can fail. In the BB's and TR's, the diff case was a two-piece welded unit. It was not until the very late TR's and all subsequent 512TR models, that Ferrari went with a one-piece billet diff carrier. The good news is that the latest diffs can be fitted to the earlest BB's, albeit with substantial cost and labor.

Fortunately, I've had no problems with the diff in my car, a mid-production 365.

Hope this sheds some light on these other potential problems...

Regards,
David

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.