Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The changes at the "other&

The changes at the "other" site finally put into effect, gee I can pay for the priveledge of helping others and everyone else can too!

Not only that pay for a site that crashes 1-2 days a week for 7 hours at a time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
>>Not only that, pay f

>>Not only that, pay for a site that crashes 1-2 days a week for 7 hours at a time. <<

That shouldn't happen to a guy that invented the internet!!

Actually Jeff the site has never been free...I subsidized the cash outlay until sponorship caught up because it was worth it to me to have a jackass free environment to share and have fun in, and the many other extremely knowledgeable and helpful contributors have donated countless and priceless hours of their time and experience/s to keep the enthusiasm and passion alive amd help others keep the costs down and the fun factor up. So free, no nothing is free...but I don't plan on quiting my day job to live out of the pockets of enthusiasts by charging membership if that's what you mean.

Regards, JRV

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm sure that the costs wi

I'm sure that the costs will increase as bandwidth increases. We're starting to see it over in the Lamborghini board! But growth is a good thing. I think charging can be avoided. At least the blatant charging given the steep advertising costs that near over 10x what it is here. To add to that additional membership fees... No thanks. I'm with you. Especially given how some folks volunteered dedicated servers to help out with the bandwidth.

I'm not against paying, but it should not be mandatory. Give the option of donating a few bucks here and there. And like Jay has done maybe donate some of our time to help where we can. I donated to Rennlist a long time ago and would do so again in a heartbeat if I frequented the board or got a lot of info out of the board the way that I used to. I didn't spend much time there and my post count was easily less than 50. But I was considering Porsches and I learned a lot from the site. As a thank you, I donated my $100 or however much it was that you could donate.

There are just way too many more fun things to spend money on when it comes to cars. I just really don't see the value. If I post something that helps somebody, I want them to be able to access it FREE. Just like I wouldn't want someone following me around collecting money when I give advice to friends and employees on a day to day basis. If I volunteer it I don't want money for it. My satisfaction is in knowing I helped someone, not monetary. So I certainly don't want someone else to cash in on it. It's simply not fair.

Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello everyone!
I am also one

Hello everyone!
I am also one that didn't wish to buy into the secret society,
just so I could help someone fix their Ferrari.

I'll be seeing you in the Tech section!

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The beauty to me of this site

The beauty to me of this site is that dang near everyone is a very SERIOUS Ferrari guy, contributes materially to the threads, does their own servicing, buys their own parts, and sponsors realize that. Not a lot of chaff in this group. Even the folks that do not have Ferraris are SERIOUS car guys. And most importantly, almost everyone on this board freely shares vast expertise - mechanical, historical or otherwise - and their passions about passionate automobiles.

Of course for a while there it was turning into Boxer-Talk...not that there's anything wrong with that...

rt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Freee, Freee, freee!

I feel

Freee, Freee, freee!

I feel free!!! But then I had to put clothes on, and come to work! The neighbors at the apartment got an eye full though.

Better open the door, JR. I think I predict a large influx of new customers!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
R Turner,

You hit the nail

R Turner,

You hit the nail right on the head. I couldn't agree with you more. There is a real feel of quality and care on this site. Care about the cars and care/help/understanding/respect for the people who use Ferrati-Talk.

Drew

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I JUST found this site. It is

I JUST found this site. It is EXACTLY what I was searching for! I think Alan (Speedy308) is right about "opening up the door"...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Interesting...I'm not a &#

Interesting...I'm not a 'paid' subscriber at f-chat but I can still post...shh, don't tell Rob! ;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I LOVE it when I'm right!!

I LOVE it when I'm right!!!!! LOL!!!

It doesn't happen very often!

Maybe I'll post my "Road Trip" pics here..

You in Houston yet, Sean???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
"I'm not a 'paid&#

"I'm not a 'paid' subscriber at f-chat but I can still post"

Yes, but you are limited to a total of 5 megs for posting pictures.
Over the course of my three years on that site, I have well exceeded that point, with something like 39 megs of picture posts.
Most of which have been either technical write-ups,
or response's to tech questions with complete how-to photos,
which have consistently ranked in the top views by people.
So I have helped build that sites viewer-ship with my posts,
to the point that I must now pay to post a pic which would help answer someone's tech question... I Don't Think So!
And I almost find it insulting, that for example... there are people who are blessed with a very nice days wage, that donate their time to help with tech questions, that will now have to pay if they want to help by posting tech pictures.
I expect a technical migration.

And I think the outcome will become obvious!

That site will become the best... what is the best car wax, fastest ticket you got, fattest chick in a Ferrari, site on the net.

And this site will become the best... we don't talk down to you,
technical Ferrari site on the net.

Just my thoughts.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes Alan, I should be at the C

Yes Alan, I should be at the Canadian GP watching on Sunday, but w/o my car. It's still in KC until I get the house sold and find one here.

I can't believe how stressfull this is. Starting a new job, selling a house, moving, finding a house...all this and my wife and kids are 700-miles away. That's actually the worst part. I miss seeing her in the mornings.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
real estate here is pretty dif

real estate here is pretty difficult.

I said 'to heck with it' and moved to a brand new apt.

You may need to buy a house for tax reasons, sounds like. look out by Jeremey.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
>>And I think the outc

>>And I think the outcome will become obvious!

That site will become the best... what is the best car wax, fastest ticket you got, fattest chick in a Ferrari, site on the net.

And this site will become the best... we don't talk down to you,
technical Ferrari site on the net.<<

I thought the above had already been achieved!!!

Anyway, I want to welcome all the new people and thank all of you for your compliments & confidence that Ferrari-Talk has a nice long future ahead of it. I also want to compliment all of the members new & old for keeping this the nicest site on the net to socialize and share with others. Membership is exploding, having grown by 33% in the last month, yet we still don't have any of the typical negative people found on other sites so I'm very pleased that we are attracting the positive good people that just want to share without all the uneccesary static caused by undesirable elements.

Regards, JRV

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
This site is growing little by

This site is growing little by little. I found it a few months ago. As time continues on it will get BIG. Advertising, advertising, advertising, should get plenty of funds needed. One things that Fchat fails to do is open the type of ads they get. JRV your doing it the smart way. Ferrari's ownership is male dominated. So keep the ads focused on that. It doesn't always have to be Ferrari or car oriented, but male oriented. So throw in some beer, tennis shoe, deoderant, snack food ads, etc. and you'll have plenty of funds to keep the site growing and FREE.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ok, Im quitting Fchat and regi

Ok, Im quitting Fchat and registering over here!

I like this sites layout better also, its easier to find new threads.

Not to mention its FREE!

Jordan

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Jordan,

as happy as I am

Hi Jordan,

as happy as I am to have new members to grow the community and offer us more diversity, contrary to a popular internet rumour, posting or joining on more than one internet site "is not cheating or betrayal"...
...it's simply enjoying different aspects of our passions and hobbies.

Welcome...!!!

Regards, JRV

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You could smell the business p

You could smell the business plan and watch as the SW got more evolved. If you keep this site pure and don't keep loading it up with additional features then it will stay free or sponsor supported. So just keep the tech info flowing and we will all learn. I'll still post on as many sites as I can get information on. When the day comes where I need to pay then I will move on.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts