Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Always liked them, never had o

Always liked them, never had one, I know Lots of Trouble Usually Serious but I have heard since GM owned them they have much improved.I would probably get rid of my 930 possibly as I have too many cars as it is replacing with a Lotus.

I am considering the V8 97-99 models, are the motors sound? I possibly would consider an early 4 cylinder such as a 94-95 or maybe a XR 180 or Jim Clark edition earlier model if they are more reliable and mechanically sound vs the V8s so any opinions on the 4 bangers as well?

I have driven late 80s and early 90s models but not the V8s so any info appreciated.
I would want the car to take 400-600 mile trips in, I have heard opinions that owners would not take a 4 cylinder Esprit across Country for reliability reasons if this is true I would not want one.

Thanks

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The previous owner of my 88 Lo

The previous owner of my 88 Lotus had taken it from MN-CA-MN and didn't have problem with the exception of heating up his trunk and melting a little piece of carpet but that was because he was traveling at a very high rate of speed for a good portion of the trip and staying in the boost the entire time.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Jeff
A good friend of mine ha

Jeff
A good friend of mine has a 1998 V8 Esprit and I have driven it several times, also drove the 4cyl models in the past, the V8 really is a far superior car, terrific performance, and a much better finish and interior, I really like the car and so much for the money. He has owned it for almost 5 years, the only problem he has ever had was a malfunctioning alarm, and a minor ac problem, otherwise it has been totally reliable.
steve

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Everyone Ive not been a mem

Hi Everyone Ive not been a member long but thought this was a good place for my first post.
Im in Scotland and have owned a 1979 S2 Esprit for almost 4 years. It was a bit rough when I bought it as I like a restoration but It went no problem on a 600 mile trip. Currently its of the road as I finish the Rebuild.My 6 month old son will get it when hes old enough.
Looking for a 308 gt4 next as I love them and need the small back seats. I want a well used one so I can restore it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jeff:

I've owned 5 Espr

Jeff:

I've owned 5 Esprits including a 1980 S2, 1989 SE, 1997 V8, 1994 S4 and until three days ago, a 1999 V8.

Any of the later model Esprits, the SE, S4, S4s or V8 are very reliable. Don't believe those who say otherwise. There was some issue with the V8 cylinder liners are some early cars but most have been corrected. Are they a Honda "NO", but last four gave me very little trouble and I drove them. Buy the newest one you can afford and get it checked out thoroughly.

Feel free to call me at (314) 889-0572 and may I suggest you join Lotus Ltd. - North America's Largest Lotus Car Club (www.LotusCarClub.org)

Mark Pfeffer

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Had a 93 Esprit outside of air

Had a 93 Esprit outside of air no problems. You don't need an 8 the 4s can beat most cars. They just don't sound like a Ferrari. Just got an Elise to put next to my 360. It's fantastic. Drives like a sports car was ment to.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts