Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is kind of 'have you

This is kind of 'have you seen' request. But I've been searching for a '95 Red 355 (GTB or GTS). I'm looking for a very specific car: I want a car without the valve guides changed to sintered steel, which still needs it (I want to perform the service myself; I'm an adept mechanic). Has anyone come across such a car?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Chris:

I'm just curi

Hi Chris:

I'm just curious as to what is price range that you expect to pay for such as "undesirable" automobile?
Let's say one with just under 30K miles.

VS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Chris:

I'm just curi

Hi Chris:

I'm just curious as to what is the price range that you expect to pay for such as "undesirable" automobile?
Let's say, for the sake of argument, one with just under 30k miles on it.

VS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Note: cars as late as 1998 hav

Note: cars as late as 1998 have been found with bronze valve guides.

Note: My 95 (probably) has the bronze valve guides, and has seen over 3000 miles on race tracks, yet still has perfect leakdown for a 40,000 mile car (last winter when we did a major). I have pictures looking straight down the intakes and see the backsides of the intake valves--absolutely clean.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Chris:

My '95 wouldn

Hi Chris:

My '95 wouldn't meet your requirements since it has had the valve guides replaced (see "355 heads" thread in the technical questions section). However (and here it goes, my unsolicited opinion), I beleive that you may find it difficult to "Low Ball" most of these owners for their cars.
First of all, the bronze guides exist in all factory cars from late '94 to mid '98 355's; however, the "valve guide failure" has NOT been reported to occur in all or even most of 355's. It is quite possible that the majority of these cars will be just fine with their bronzes. So, unless you buy a car with already defective valves, how can you predict that the failure will happen and more importantly, how are you going to convince the owner to sell you his beloved Ferrari at a discounted price based on the argument of a "possible" future failure of the bronze.
One more thing, the owner of a potential defective car could just fix it at the same time of a major service and save money on the engine removal and replacement by performing the two services in one episode.
If I were a first time 355 buyer I probably go for a '99 (not an F1 transmission)

Greetings

VS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The distinct reasons I am sear

The distinct reasons I am searching for '95 car is because I want the twin throttle bodies as well the as the OBDI emissions control. I also specifically want a car that needs the valve job done, not one in which the bronze guide's have shown no problems. I am essentially searching for a car which someone wants to sell the car specifically because they don't want to pay for the valve guide job.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts