Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a 1966 Elan visit

I've got a 1966 Elan visiting the shop for the Winter...
She be getting a re-seal, clutch, Weber overhauls and other misc. freshings. If anyone is interested, I'll post some pictures along the way to recovery.

Regards,
David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Please do! I really like thos

Please do! I really like those things. I haven't seen one in person since I lived in Europe. I'd love to get your take on the ownership experience, especially what is the perceived bane of Lotus ownership: reliability.

Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Reliability...LOL...Sorry, tha

Reliability...LOL...Sorry, that word cannot be used in describing the Lotus Experience. This car will be for sale, once repairs have been completed.

I'll post some pictures latter in the week.

Regards,
David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Cool!

Yeah, I thought I mig

Cool!

Yeah, I thought I might get that reaction out of you.
I'm told they're worth the headaches though.

Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I agree with Taek, I love seei

I agree with Taek, I love seeing all these cars. I owned a Jenson Healey for yrs, loved driving that thing!!!

I've wanted a Triumph Stag forever! Love the look!

{
}

Regards, JRV

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Gents,

These cars are worth

Gents,

These cars are worth the (mild) headaches...as the driving experience is quite incredible. Nothing like a Lotus in the handling department!

I've had three, thus far.

67 Elan-Fun and pretty reliable (Daily driver for 2 years)
70 Europa-Always broken
65 Super 7 (The real one) RHD-Unbelievable fun and pretty reliable, as well.

Jensen Healey-I drove a new one back in 1978...It didn't make it through the new car road test, and had to be trucked back to the dealership. Cool car, but...!

Regards,
David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wow you got that engine out fa

Wow you got that engine out fast, just one pic to the next and it's out!

HaHa!!

That thing looks nice, looks like it will be a sweet ride when it's done!

Best, JRV

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
LOL...HA!

The engine did co

LOL...HA!

The engine did come out reasonably quickly...though those Brits do do a great job at hiding some of the engine to transmission bolts behind/under the carbs pretty darn well. And we won't talk about the engine-mount bolts which are in shear, meaning that the engine has to be supported before the bolts can be removed...but the car is too low for the cherry picker to slide underneath it...

But...the oil leaks will take a bit longer to repair than the engine R&R did. What's the deal with "rope" seals and cork gaskets? Looks like a sure fire way to ensure oil leaks....

Actually it's not a bad project car to work on...Parts are very reasonably priced and readily available through Dave Bean Engineering.

Regards,
David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
That thing is COOOOL!

Had I

That thing is COOOOL!

Had I the courage I'd spring the cash for something like this.

"Rope" seals and cork gaskets!! Gasp! Can these problems be preempted and addressed or do they pop up to the point of leaving one stranded constantly?

Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I agree....They are very cool

I agree....They are very cool cars! And, sooo much fun to drive. I had one a while back that I drove daily for a few years. Reliabilty was pretty good, and it never left me stranded. They do like to "mark their territory", so to speak, particularly if you don't drive them enough. Although cork and rope seals are very old technology, with great installation care, the engines are reasonably oil tight.

The owner does want to sell the car....(less than $19K), Drop me a note if you're interested. Thanks.

Regards,
David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
David,

The body on that Ela

David,

The body on that Elan looks great, especially the door fit. Makes me want to put the 308 aside and get my Elan S2/SE (RHD) back on the road.

I had a rear main rope seal go on my Elan one time. I noticed a puddle of oil under the car, started it up and observed oil pissing out like you wouldn't believe. Luckily, I was at a barn I rented where I normally do work on it so no harm was done. The next engine I build for it will have the later 6-bolt crank and upgraded oil pan and rear main seal. Last month I saw a couple of air box assemblies go on ebay for a reasonable price.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts