Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
In my search for a muffler tha

In my search for a muffler that is free flowing, but quieter than the current Tubistyle, I have test installed a stainless steel Magnaflow #14262 5"x8"x18" muffler with dual stainless steel 3" tips. Tried to do a true dual exhaust, but lack of space and US headers coming off on the same side prevented this (Believe me, I tried). Opted for large bore free flow.

Verdict: It's quieter than a Tubi at off throttle cruise and idle, but as loud the rest of the time. The note tone is lower overall, but still has a little of that buzzy Tubistyle/360 Modena sound (no offense to anyone here) that I'm not really crazy about. Tubi boominess at cruise is definitely gone. Subjective only, but the car felt a bit revvier than even the Tubi, which was an improvement over stock.
Total price installed was under $600 in 4 hours. Will hold with this for now, but will look at a couple of DynoMax options, as will be easy to weld in a new muffler now that I have a basic template. I have also learned from this muffler's construction what I will need to look for in the future, so hope the next installation, probably under $160, will get what I'm looking for, although I'm not really in a hurry.

best to all
Russ

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Chapter 2: Dynomax Ultra-flow

Chapter 2: Dynomax Ultra-flow

While the response of the new Magnaflow installation is much improved as well as the flow over the previous chambered stock and Tubistyle mufflers, my requirements are for a bit quieter still. The only SuperTurbo with a 3" inlet proved a bit to big when test-fitted, so will try a Dynomax Ultraflow, #17227, originally developed for high horsepower GM F-body cars (Camaro/Trans-Am) like the Magnaflow shown.

One of the **theories** is that a bigger muffler has a quieter tone. The 17227 is 15% bigger than the Mag, and exposes the flow to more sound absorbant while still providing 940 CFM, allowing for a no-loss hp rating of 427. As you can see from the approximate scale drawings, the flow pattern is a bit different with the Magnaflow relying on an internal baffle to equalize flows while the 17227 does not. The Magnaflow has a very Tubistyle rasp to it from the right side, perobably due to less absorbant exposure than the left. Subjectively the weight is the same, and will accept the same non-resonated 3" dual twin chrome tailpipes. Am not anticipating a large change in flow, but **in theory**, the tone should be a bit smoother. The Dynomax muffler is a bit under $100, and can probably shop them much less expensive. Will try a bit different look this time with a more 'Ansa' appearance of flat black muffler with chrome tailpipes.

Photos and dyno results soon.
best
rt

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.