Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Cool stuff Barry. I hope that

Cool stuff Barry. I hope that you will be adding more pics as the work is done.
I love to see engine projects....That's what keeps these babies alive.

Jeremy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jeremy,

The major is bei

Hi Jeremy,

The major is being done at Classic Coach here in New Jersey. They photo-document their work and give you floppy disks upon completion. I'll post a selection of those soon. For the time being, here's more of what I photographed yesterday. The covers had already been replaced when I got there:

Barry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Awesome Barry!! that is a pret

Awesome Barry!! that is a pretty neat service that your shop provides. Not very many people ever get to see the inside of their engine. It is amazing the amount of design and engineering that goes into makeing an engine. Blows my mined!!

Keep'em coming!!

JL

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I sure will, Jeremy. I did ge

I sure will, Jeremy. I did get a chance to see the technician adjusting the valves on Thursday. His assistant was taking pictures. I'm looking forward to getting those floppies when they're done. I agree, it's a fine service they provide.

JRV.....If you feel this thread should be placed in Technical Questions & Answers, please move it at your discretion.

Barry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Man, that's one clean car!

Man, that's one clean car!

Mine looks a lot like it, only rusty(er)!

Don't forget the fuel filter!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Alan,

The "elemento

Hi Alan,

The "elemento filtrante" has been changed.

They power wash the engine during the major. They'll wipe up any fluids that have leaked onto the engine block during servicing. I don't detail my engine and bay.

Anyway, what we have is "patina" not rust.

Barry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Alan,

Here's my engine

Alan,

Here's my engine bay prior to servicing. Notice the patina on the coolant expansion tank and on the panel above the coils:

Barry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The pilot bearing is being cha

The pilot bearing is being changed:

And I'll be getting a new clutch plate (about 50% wear on the old one).

The throw-out bearing and main shaft are OK, but the seal will be replaced:

Meanwhile, work progresses on this GTO:

Barry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jeremy and Bob,

Not me, I j

Jeremy and Bob,

Not me, I just took the pictures. The one who deserves all the credit is Carlos, my technician.

Here he is doing an engine-out on a Ferrari 333 SP. He took a few moments to show his assistant some of the finer points, then it was back to my car. He's on the left:

Barry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Alan,

As we've discus

Alan,

As we've discussed mufflers and valances in the past, here's a shot of my Euro ANSA. Note that last year I had a heat-resistant and reflective liner (the same stuff they use in F40 engine bays) installed on the fiberglass trunk panel above the muffler body. The hot spot on the ANSA had burned a small hole through the fiberglass panel exposing the insulation material in the double-walled cavity. Perhaps JR can do this modification for you. Here you can see that my valance has no provision for the interim shield that JR is fabricating for your car.

Barry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Barry, I'm looking at 1976

Barry, I'm looking at 1976 308GTB #19429.
Fibreglass. Is this close to, or one of, the original "batch" you referenced in your post?

Red/Black, maintained well it seems. One owner for past twelve years. Thanks in advance!

Speedy"Hopping the bus"308

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Found your VIN# in the other t

Found your VIN# in the other thread.

Wow!, #19399, and I've found #19429, that's only, what ten cars apart. Do you think this one came to the US with yours???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Alan,

When you look at the

Alan,

When you look at the tag on the driver's side door sill, you'll see that #19429 has a May, 1976 production date. As #19397 was the first of the 100 US version fiberglass GTBs produced, the car you're looking at was the 17th made.

The U.S. Versions, or more properly, North American Version Fiberglass GTBs, according to Gerald Roush in the FML, were made in three groups in mid-1976: 20 in May (19397-19435), 40 in June (19505-19583), and a final batch of 40 in July (19725-19805). Each batch of cars had consecutive (odd) serial numbers.

I hope the car you're looking at meets with your approval. If you would like any additional information, please don't hesitate to ask.

Barry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Barry:

Your car looks great

Barry:

Your car looks great. Let me know when you will be picking the car up at Classic Coach. If it is after May 6 (the first day after finals), I can meet you there and we can go out for lunch or dinner.

If you need a loaner car while your car is being repaired, ask Frank for if you can borrow that 288GTO. It looks lonely sitting there unused. If not, I am sure that he has some other cars upstairs that you can use.

Good luck.
Ken

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Ken,

They'll be finishe

Ken,

They'll be finished this weekend. Hopefully you can make their Open House on April 17th. They will put your can on the lift during the tech session and give it a thorough inspection and clear it for track events.

If not, let me know a good time, after your finals, to have a drive-in.

By the way, I asked Frank to let me have this one for a loaner:

Can you picture me tooling around northern New Jersey in that?

Barry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Barry:

You would look good

Barry:

You would look good tooling around NJ in that F1 car. Just watch out for the potholes. Unfortunately, April 17 does not work for me. That startings my reading period and finals are the following week. I do not read during the semester, so I need every day of the reading period. Hell, I do not even purchase the books for some classes.

Let me know when the next tech day is at CC and I will try to make it. I will send you an email after finals so that we can arrange a time and place to meet.

Take Care.
Ken

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
>>It's in good com

>>It's in good company! <,

OH YEEEAAAA!!!

Your 308 keeps great company...

1 - 20 of 25 Posts