Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This video shows a 550, being

This video shows a 550, being driven west of Laramie, Wyoming... on an open road with no traffic...then up a mountain highway that's one of the best driving secrets in North America.

Afterwards, it's dinner at the Albany Lodge in Albany or the Trading Post in Centennial (but only if Molly isn't working--which she was the night I was out there)

The music is by Laramie's own band, Bas-Mati (they're named after a rice) ENJOY! I sure did!everything-6307.unkThis video shows a 550, being driven west of Laramie, Wyoming... on an open road with no traffic...then up a mountain highway that's one of the best driving secrets in North America.

Afterwards, it's dinner at the Albany Lodge in Albany or the Trading Post in Centennial (but only if Molly isn't working--which she was the night I was out there)

The music is by Laramie's own band, Bas-Mati (they're named after a rice) ENJOY! I sure did!

To view the video, I suggest you right click and save the text file (.txt) that will download.
After the file is saved to disk (as a text file) simply find it and change the .txt extension to an .mpg. Then it should play OK on your media player.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sorry about the first message

Sorry about the first message not having the video.
When I saw that it was coming out as a text file (extention UNK) not as an mpg-- I tried to edit the message, but couldn't get the system to recognize me. So I left it alone, in anticipation of making this second post.

So, here's the video, which should be downloaded, per the instructions above (ie, save it as a .UNK or .TXT and then change it to an .MPG file and play it). That procedure will also be true of all videos that are downloaded in this section:
They'll be saved as text files. And then the users who download them will simply have to change them to whatever extension is shown on the page (ie MPG or WMV or RM...whatever people post here).

OK, hope this works! (I feel like I'm at Maranello, on the test track, waiting for my baby to fly past the timing trap :) Wheeeeeee
<center><table border=1><tr><td>
"Everything You Ever Wanted" 7meg MPG file
everything.mpg (7866.2 k)</td></tr></table></center>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Here's another 550-in-Wyom

Here's another 550-in-Wyoming "Ferrari Moment" (or two) On the winding Happy Jack Road between Laramie and Cheyenne, with PINK FLOYD's "Learning to Fly" playing on the CD. On this drive, I learned that the 550 isn't a sports car. It's a GT and I now know the difference.

On the way home on I-80 in the dark, a bobcat ran in front of the car. And at 80mph, I lurched a full lane to avoid the little wildcat--without a moment's hesitation on the part of either the Bridgestone tires or the car! WOW!

To view the movie, right click and save the file as a text file-- then change the extension to .mpg and you're set to rock in the Sherman granite of Vedauwoo (Arapaho language for "Earthborn Spirits"!)<center><table border=1><tr><td>
550 on the Happy Jack Road (12 meg MPG)
happyjack.mpg (12207.3 k)</td></tr></table></center>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
From the movie BAD BOYS 2
How

From the movie BAD BOYS 2
How to damage a Maranello!
(clip contains offensive language, not suitable for children)

This clip is from the copyrighted film, BAD BOYS 2 (Sony Pictures, 2003; available on DVD) and is posted here per the "fair use" provisions of the 1976 U.S. copyright act. The commentary that I would make in regards to this useage is two-fold:

First, the portrayal of the Maranello in this film is now the twerp fantasy in the backs of the minds of teen boy cruisers everywhere... as being THE definition of what a Maranello is all about. Duh!

Secondly, after the passenger door is damaged in the shot (slammed carelessly into a concrete pole by the actor, Martin Lawrence) you might notice in the final scene of this clip... how gently he opens the door in "take 2" (which has a different camera angle to hide the damage from take 1!)

The film's producer, Jerry Bruckheimer, is known to own a Ferrari. I wonder if this car is his now. He could have "bought" it after filming (buying it from his own production company after it got used, abused and deducted as a "$300,000" production expense in this film!) The guy's no dummy! Such a car would carry a "celebrity" cache at resale.

Speaking of celebrity Ferraris:
The film's actor, Will Smith's blue 456GT was recently offered for sale on Ebay (August 2004) as was "Home Improvement" star Tim Allen's silver 550. Another 550 owner in San Diego is Gateway computer's chairman Ted Wait. And there's that fabulus author and artist, Johnny Wyoming!

This file is an MPG and is 6 meg in size. <center><table border=1><tr><td>
How to damage a Maranello..duh! 6mg MPG
bb-door.mpg (6532.5 k)</td></tr></table></center>lo

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
How NOT to damage a Maranello!

How NOT to damage a Maranello!
(Use a top-of-the-line stunt driver and computer-generated 575M for the chase scene)
===============
OFFENSIVE LANGUAGE NOT SUITABLE FOR CHILDREN
===============
Another clip from BAD BOYS 2 (copyright 2003 Sony Pictures and available on DVD; Produced by Jerry Bruckheimer, Directed by Michael Bay)

This clip features action from the edited film, showing the stunt driving of Henry Kingi in the 575 Maranello. In actuality, much of the "action" was synthesized with the use of computer- generated- imagery (CGI) The CGI Maranello makes the ultra-close calls on the Miami causeway chase scene.

And in the scene where Will Smith spins the car while firing a fully-automatic assault rifle out the driver's window, I suspect that this scene was shot inside what's called a blue stage (with blue walls and floor). Using computers, the background "city" was later composited into the shot.

I suspect that Will Smith isn't as good a stunt driver as this scene suggests. And that the 575M was spun on the blue stage... while Smith fired the gun out the window.<center><table border=1><tr><td>
10meg MPG
bb-clips.mpg (9977.5 k)</td></tr></table></center>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AUDIO FILE

550 Maranello en

AUDIO FILE

550 Maranello engine, revving during gear shifts as the car drives off at high speed.(from Ferrari North America web site I believe)

WAV file, 85Kb size<center><table border=1><tr><td>
550 engine sound file, WAV format, 85Kb
550.wav (87.0 k)</td></tr></table></center>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AUDIO FILE
412t2 Formula One

AUDIO FILE
412t2 Formula One race car's engine, doing something like 15,000 rpm and shifting up and down!

WAV format 341Kb size<center><table border=1><tr><td>
412t2 Formula One engine WAV file 341Kb
412t2.wav (348.3 k)</td></tr></table></center>

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Johnny, I just thought I&#3

Hi Johnny, I just thought I'd mention that posting copyright video on the internet is a no-no, and is not provisioned for under the fair use code.
I do this stuff for a living, and am well aware of copyright law.

My advice would be, Please do not post copyright material on this website.
I do not want to see JRV get into trouble.
Thanks!

Dave

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
To David Jones, JRV and to all

To David Jones, JRV and to all others who are reading this,

I appreciate David's point-of-view and share his concerns about liability. However-- without question-- my posting of two clips from the film, Bad Boys 2 and the music of Bas-Mati all clearly fall within the "fair use" provisions (section 107) of the current U.S. Copyright law.

(what follows is taken directly from the U.S. Copyright.gov web site)

"Section 107 contains a list of the various purposes for which the reproduction of a particular work may be considered “fair,” such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching, scholarship, and research. Section 107 also sets out four factors to be considered in determining whether or not a particular use is fair:"

(before we go on, I want to say that I had permission of the Bas-Mati band to post an audio clip of their music. And this posting has led to at least one purchase of their CD, "Radio Paint" by a viewer in Wisconsin And in regards to my posting video clips from the film, "Bad Boys 2"-- where prior permission was not made because it was not necessary, per section 107-- I would note that in both my postings, as an accredited Wyoming journalist reporting on the portrayal in the film of the 550's capabilities, I carefully and intentionally made specific commentary, relative to the clips shown. And my commentary was in regards to both the technical accuracy and cultural portrayal of the 550 Maranello in the film. And I critically pointed out where the absurdity of the film clearly lays and how a number of the film's special effects with the 550 were achieved. All of this meets Section 107's requirements)

What follows, again, is from the U.S. Copyright web site, describing the criteria for properly invoking Section 107:
the purpose and character of the use, including whether such use is of commercial nature or is for nonprofit educational purposes;

(this Ferrari-talk web site is clearly non-profit and educational in nature, therefore this criteria is met, both actually and on the face of it)

the nature of the copyrighted work;
(I cited the DVD being available from Sony. And the clips that I used were strictly limited to illustrating the references that I made in my posted text)

amount and substantiality of the portion used in relation to the copyrighted work as a whole;
(I made minimal use of exerpts from the video; and only used clips that specifically illustrated my journalistic commentary)

and
4. the effect of the use upon the potential market for or value of the copyrighted work.

(if anything, my fair use of these clips in this Ferrari education and discussion environment--along with my citation of Sony as copyright holder and the film's availability on DVD-- probably is stimulating rental or sales of the DVD among Ferrari enthusiasts...just like the sale of a "Radio Paint" CD for the band, Bas-Mati!)

In conclusion, I posted these clips with specific commentary that completely justifies my invoking the fair use provision under Section 107.
My journalism training was at USC in Los Angeles and my own video productions have been broadcast on The Discovery Channel.
But this is not my web site and I'll certainly defer to the site owner's judgement, if the decision is made to remove the Bad Boy 2 clips.
Cheers to all! John

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi John:

Great posts! I lik

Hi John:

Great posts! I liked the F1 engine audio.
I'm curious to see Dave's answer to the last one.

Greetings

VS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
YIKES....can I defend myself a

YIKES....can I defend myself adequately in FEDERAL COURT....I can't afford lawyers, not to mention all the time off it takes. How will my family eat when I can no longer go to work because of court dates????

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Don't worry, JR!
Today, I

Don't worry, JR!
Today, I joined the Ferrari Owners Cult... er CLUB! Whoops :)
And I'm in the Utah chapter, which is having a rally in Jackson Hole, September 10-12. I'm going up there, 1,000 miles round-trip! I hope that's OK, to drive a Ferrari 1,000 miles in one trip-- not the 10-car garage owner's average of 2,500 miles/year!

Anyway, Jackson is where the the famous atty, Jerry Spence is located. I'll personally indemnfy you, JR and I'll hold you harmless against ANY copyright-infringement claim-- that might be filed against you and this web site-- by anyone associated with the film, BAD BOYS 2. And I'll sic Jerry Spence on em... AND my killer dog, Sandy Hobbs... although Sandy's mainly a chick-killer:
http://www.zero123.com/sandy.html

BTW, I privately emailed Mr Jones and asked if he could please cite a single court case (state or federal) that made a distinction about invoking Section 107 "fair use" of copyrighted work, for posting on the internet-- as opposed to either print or broadcast. I haven't heard back from him and I'm really eager to know if there IS a distinction (possibly under some arcane provision in the Digital Millenium Copyright Act, the DMCA).

BTW, I'm getting my Albany County Wyoming license plates ordered tomorrow but can't make up my mind:
5-TGIF 5-CIAO 5-UFO
The salutation, "Ciao" is Italian for "I am your slave"! Maybe that's the right one, since I'm obviously now a happy slave (aka "member") of the cult of Ferrari! :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JW,

I'm not sure the si

JW,

I'm not sure the site can be held responsible for the opinions or posts of the members. So I'm not really worried..
..but if I do have to go to court I hope the Media Circus covers the event, we could use the exposure and then there's those lucrative book deals...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Since Johnny took time to emai

Since Johnny took time to email me off board,
I sent him a little info to read as well.

But, what it all boils down to in fair use are... Intentions.

This is not an article you published on the making of Bad Boys,
and any copyright attorney that Sony has will be able to site,
That you are an over zealous Ferrari owner wanting to post Ferrari videos, in a forum titled "Ferrari Videos"
and because of your journalistic background, you tried to figure a way around the copyright law by claiming "Fair Use" in order to post video from Bad Boys.

You may be an accredited Wyoming journalist, as you claim.
But any attorney worth his salt could have your ass.

I'm not trying to be the "Bad Boy" here.
You are free to post what ever you want, when ever you want.

Good Luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks David.....

probably

Thanks David.....

probably best to err on the side of caution, when push comes to shove.

The funny part for me is I can't watch Vids..my puter crashes, so I have no idea what you guys are looking at!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I've forgotton to say to a

I've forgotton to say to anyone using this web site, "Please feel free to download and save my 550 videos (of my car in Wyoming). I consider them in the public domain and will be happy that you use them any way you want."

Now, I'd like to express my sincere thanks to David Jones for his lengthly email to me on fair use. Mr Jones knows his copyright law and he cited a number of court cases that illustrate good examples of fair use (and also the abuse of it). Bottom line, no SONY attorney worth his "salt" is going waste SONY's money suing anyone over (my) minimal use of the Bad Boys II clips in my recent postings. Instead, if anyone at SONY even cared at all, the SONY lawyers might simply ask that the clips be removed. They would know that this web site is non-profit and educational in nature (yes even if the site IS for "over zealous" Ferrari car nuts, it still qualifies as an educational web site; And a forum for discussion of a special area of interest, Ferraris). Thus, SONY lawyers might simply ask that the clips be removed from the site. And they'd do that just to be seen (in the eyes of their corporate bosses) as somehow being "proactive"-- even though they'd know the postings were fair use. As Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor told us in Laramie recently, contemporary American lawyers are only out for their client's "interests"-- often in lieu of the law or common sense. And because of this, she also said that it's no wonder that so many of them are unhappy people and wouldn't chose a career in law if they had the decision to make again.

Although I know he didn't intend to, in his email's opening sentence to me, Mr Jones spelled out exactly why, what I posted from Bad Boys 2 DOES qualify as legitimate fair use. He says,
"In its most general sense, a fair use is any copying of copyrighted material done for a limited and "transformative" purpose such as to comment upon, criticize or parody a copyrighted work. Such uses can be done without permission from the copyright owner."

In my post, I edited the video to short clips of the 575, thus transforming it in the process to concisely and strictly illustrate my comments and criticisms of THE FILM's portrayal of the 575's real capabilities. I was criticizing the film for making the 575 look like a teen boy's wet dream fantasy, racing around sidewalks, smoking tires, etc.

Mr Jones is right about this being a Ferrari forum. This is not a film school web site where films are critiqued. Yet, as part of my commentary on the portrayal of the 575 in the film, I specifically did point out the film's apparent special effects techniques (ie blue screen to enable actor Will Smith to shoot an automatic rifle out the window, while spinning the 575 360 degrees). And I used the "transformative" tools (editing of the short clips from the film) which Mr Jones indicates are needed to qualify for fair use. I specifically chose only those clips that I thought illustrated the 575 in action. For example, I didn't post minutes and minutes of either of the film's two car chases...showing all the action and the other types of cars. Had I had done that, it would've eaten at the heart of the film's commercial appeal because this web sit'e Ferrari enthusiasts would not have an incentive to go consume the whole film. Had I done that (posted the whole car chases,etc) it would have diminished the film's commercial potential. Instead, I edited extremely short shots of the 575--alone-- in action. And this transformative process was INTENDED to comment ONLY on the portrayal of the 575's capabilities in the film. That LIMITED commentary function, as Mr Jones points out, is central to the proper use of Section 107 and Fair Use. And my commentary should cause Ferrari enthusiasts to go see the entire film for themselves!

Any SONY lawyer with any brains is going to know that the net comercial result of my posting of the short clips of the 575 on this site will only stimulate the readers of this site to go buy or rent the film and see the whole thing, thus profiting Sony.

In light of that, I don't appreciate Mr Jone's assertion that I "tried" to do anything improper and that my ass is going to be "salted" as a result. In my life, all over the world, nobody has "salted" my ass-- ever (and some have tried, believe me). Mr Jones is obviously a lawyer himself and I'm afraid, due to his occupation, he is himself part of the modern legal culture of (as Sandra Day OConnor told us in Laramie) "Winner takes All".
==========================================
Moving on, a number of other TV shows and theatrical films have portrayed Ferrari automobiles in the past:

TV Shows:
CHiPs and Columbo both used various models in various episodes. ChiPs actor Larry Wilcox was raised in Rawlins, Wyoming. He told me once that he remembered Rawlins as a "whorehouse, out in the middle of nowhere". Right, but there's a stretch of open road north of Rawlins, leading to Jeffrey City, made for a Ferrari at full throttle! I'll be on it in October, heading to Yellowstone.

Other Ferrari appearances on TV:
246: Hart to Hart (I used to rent Stefanie's Malibu "Little reward" on Winding Way. She drove an SUV,a Land Rover I think)
308: Magnum, P.I
365 GTS replica and Testarosa: Miami Vice

And in Theatrical films:
246: The Cannonball Run
250: Johnny Dark, Never Steal Anything Small, Viva Las Vegas, Vanilla Sky(fake)Ferris Bueller's Day Off (fake),
275: Thomas Crown Affair, A New Leaf,
308: The Cannonball Run, National Lampoon's Vacation, Against All Odds.
328: Beverly Hills Cop II, The Hidden, L.A. Story, 355: The Rock
365: Gone in 60 Seconds, A Star is Born, The Gumball Rally
400i: Rain Man
575M: Bad Boys II
Mondial: Scent of a Woman
Enzo: Charlie's Angels Full Throttle

This media exposure has contributed to Ferrai sales in the U.S. In 1993, 507 Ferraris were sold in the U.S. And in 2003, 1,261 new units were purchased, according to Motor Trend magazine.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
>>2002 360 Die another

>>2002 360 Die another day >.

you sure??

I know rhe owner of the actual "Die Another Day" movie Ferrari..it was a Fly Yellow 355 Challenge..donated by the factory!

in fact he is a member here.

gotta admit your list is immpressive though!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Jrv, actually we're both r

Jrv, actually we're both right, because my list is not complete:

In the opening scene there is a grigio 360 parked alongside other vehicles that get blown up. The 360 only jolts backwards.

However it is a yellow 355 (replica one would hope) that gets tossed out the disintegrating airplane in the finale.

Having said that, the list is really not complete, but a good start. At least a much better start than what's on the FCA website or reported in the last edition of Forza.

Now actually finding copies of all these movies is a different ballgame altogether...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I've just (re-)dis

I've just (re-)discovered this site. Great content.
BTW, the 355 in the Bond, James Bond movie was not a 355. It was a 348 dressed up by QV London to look like a 355.
The trivia we pick up!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts