Ferrari Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sit back and relax cuz this is

Sit back and relax cuz this is gonna be a long post. As you may know I recently got me another TR (see 2 TRs in driveway thread). It was an experience to say the least, getting her home safely.

Some time ago I put my Nero Black TR up for sale on ebay. Bidding was fierce but stopped short of my reserve. There were tons of emails and tire-kickers, and I treated them all seriously cuz you just never know. Well the auction ends and thats when the emails just started pouring in! There were 3 people genuinly interested, and two of them had offered my reserve amount. It came down to a matter of who gets there first with the money. Turns out a gentlemen from NY was prepared to buy quickly provided I could make him 100% sure the car was a good one. I did a video of the car that convinced him a test drive was in order, and the test drive clinched the deal. (I knew it would) Well he lives in NY and I live in Michigan. So he needed a trailer to get the car home. He eventually found an awesome rig down in N.C. But his busy schedule kept him from getting it and bringing it back. Well after an intensive search I was interested in a TR down in Atlanta maybe 5 hours drive from his trailer. But I wasn't sure about the color of Grigio Metallic. I got pics of every grigio car I could, in the sun, in the shade, everything. But I just couldn't warm up to it. But everything else about this grigio TR was great, the history, how it runs, the paper trail. So a personal inspection was the only way I could make up my mind. So I made a suggestion to my TR's new owner: Why don't I go down and look at this TR and if I buy it I'll use your trailer to bring it home. Then your car AND trailer will be here for you to pick up at your convenience. He said "do what ya gotta do" to make it work. I have a truck...but it's a beater and probably wouldn't make the trip. But a dear friend whom I've done tons of work for on his Mustang race car offered to let me use his brand new Ford F150 ext. cab with a 5.4 V8 and tow package. I was reluctant but eventually took him up on it. So on Monday after Christmas we (the Lovely Karen and I)head out on our trek from Michigan to down to North Carolina. We drove into the night and got a room around 1:00am. The next morning we ate a great breakfast at a little diner, and then drove to Bob's place to see the trailer. What a beautiful home you have Bob! And in front of his garage was this gigantic enclosed trailer that by all rights should have it's own zip code. I mean it had to be visible from outer space! I have to admit I was intimidated by it. I have very little towing experience and here was the grand-daddy of trailers...I was scared. Bob helped get everything rigged up (he did most of the work, I got a bloody finger) and all looked good. All the while he's putting the fear of God in me about wind, big rigs blowing by, not setting the brakes right....just one horror story after another about towing and having things go wrong (it was for my own good though). The rig is finally road-ready but Bob insists on a short drive with him to make sure I'm not in over my head (which I am). He is a wonderful and patient teacher. Bob, his lovely wife, and 2 other family members went out of their way to make Karen and I feel at home. They all got in their car and guided us right to the highway...now you just can't ask for better people than that! So now were on the way to Atlanta and I'm a big man on campus, king of the road.....(yeah...right). We get to Atlanta, afternoon rush...what a mess. There I am navigating this truck/trailer trying to find my way while everyone around me is driving like a nascar racer. We get to the house, it's in a tight area and the rig barely fits! I had to gently use some people's yards to turn around...only inches to spare. The seller backs the car out and I see it in person for the first time....all I can say is WOW is that thing nice! In the sunlight it's stunning. Pics just don't do this color justice. We haggle a bit, I buy the car and we load her up. Hopefully I have the car's weight distributed right. Off we go back into the traffic....only now I'm really worried. Here I am driving a friend's brand new truck, pulling another person's awesome trailer, with my expensive car loaded up, in this traffic, with little to no towing experience!!! To say I had a death grip on the steering wheel is an understatement. Well we miss our exit, I saw it but traffic wouldn't let us over to get to it. So I ask Karen to find an alternative way. Now I was concentrating on driving and wasn't really helping her, and she will be the first to admit maps aren't her strong point. But she mentions "65" and "Cleveland" and I say go for it thinking "interstate 65" and "Cleveland, Ohio". I know now that this isn't right but at the time any way out of that traffic sounded good. So off we go...but before long we are in what I'd call "Deliverance country". It's dark out now, we stop for gas....off in the distance some blood hounds are barking at "something" like crasy. Some people were staring at us and they obviously came from the shallow end of the gene pool. Anyway off we go into the night trying to get over to the highway going into Chatanooga. On the map it looked like a short trip of maybe 2 hours. But we ended up going through the mountains of a state park, narrow roads, tight turns, cliffs, pitch black night....ups and downs...oh my God I've died and gone to driving hell! Almost 7 hours later we get to Chatanooga and sleep away what's left of the night. I Wake up with a massive headache (from stress) and swallow advil like candy. But the weather is gorgeous, we have a good breakfast and talk about how nice it is there. Much better than Michigan....maybe we'll move down there some day? Well back on the road we go...now the problem is the big trucks blasting by us. They make the trailer yaw in one direction, and then the other as they pass us. And the truck is squirming around pretty bad...my stomach is in my throat, but I "appear" calm so as not to worry Karen, but the sweat gives me away. We finally get up through Nashville and I'm getting pretty comfortable now, getting a bit full of myself...I can handle this, no big deal...I'm getting pretty good. Well we get to Louisville and hit their rush hour traffic, I manage it quite well and start feeling confident about everything. Then we get into Indiana and the rain is just pouring down, the wind is blowing out of the west, gusting up to maybe 35 mph. And once again I resume the death grip on the wheel. Big trucks pass us and I lose visibility through the spray and rain....just driving on instinct alone! Once again I remind myself of the value of other people's property, and my TR, in my sweaty hands. I start popping advils again, a couple every hour to fight the stress headache. Two times we almost lost it when a big rig would blast by in what seemed like an intentional test of my nerve....and they surely did test me! That nasty weather continued without a let up all the way from one end of Indiana to the other. Michigan never looked so good! We arrived home just before midnight. I unloaded the TR and parked in my shop next to the other TR. What a kodak moment it was...I had to take some pics cuz this will probably never happen again. And the next day I pulled the cars out into the driveway for some more pics. My neighbors probably thought I'm dealing drugs and people driving by did the "Linda Blair - exorcist" neck twist trying to get a better look. It was quite an adventure that I hope I don't have to do again, but at the same time I don't regret it for a minute.

I would like to Thank my Beautiful girlfriend Karen for putting up with my Ferrari obsession. Thank You Bob and Claudia for being so gracious and helpful. Thank You Kerry for letting me use your trailer. And Thank You Norbert for the use of your new truck.

This has been a wonderful experience. Everything just seemed to "gel" and work out. Everybody was so nice and cooperative. I believe it's because we were all acting out of our passion for these cars and all intentions were good. It was more like friends helping friends. If this had been strictly a business transaction you can bet it would have been much different. I'm glad for all the experiences, and the new friends I made. I'm just a blue collar guy who struggles to own a TR. But I'm very wealthy when it comes to having good friends in my life. And this adventure re-affirms my faith in people.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quite an adventure. Goiod thin

Quite an adventure. Goiod thing it turned out well.

I had similar issues bringing my BB home from N Cali to Vegas 1 1/2 years ago, I ended up renting a Uhaul truck and car tralier to haul it back, no major drama other than the straps would come loose holding it on the trailer occasionaly and I would need to stop and retighten them, one guy actually was waving at me to stop as the car was moving on the trailer a bit but still chained underneath the first time I realized I had this problem, watched it all the way back on the trailer in the mirrors then on.

I went 45mph all the way for 13 hours. Lots of camera phones clicking seeing a BB on a Uhaul trailer.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jeff,
I truly enjoyed your t

Jeff,
I truly enjoyed your travel log, especially the spice such as the lower end of the gene pool. I am currently trying to finalize a deal on a car in Oklahoma, I hope my story doesn't turn out anything like yours (PLEASE!!!!!). Enjoy your new toy and pride of owning a Ferrari TR. I will let you know how my travels turn out. Thanks for the story.
Darryl Cartozian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Great Story Jeff, and we'r

Great Story Jeff, and we're all glad things turned out fine. And it was really good to read how many people got involved and threw in a helping hand to make everything a success!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What a great story. I'm gl

What a great story. I'm glad to see there are other people who are leery of towing trailers. But all this talk and no pictures. Is it the one in your profile?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Jeff,
I just read your oth

Jeff,
I just read your other thread where you had photos of both TR's in your driveway, sweet and very cool. Congratulations

1 - 7 of 7 Posts