Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Guys,

I just recently

Hi Guys,

I just recently purchased a 92 348 TS (pics at www.findsimon.com/348/348.html) and am a brand new ferrari-talk member.

:)

It seems the consensus with these things is to use them, frequently.

With that in mind I'm going to put some miles on this puppy next week with a road trip to Las Vegas.

I've changed the oil and filter, but I'd also like to drop the gearbox oil before I go and put in some Redline 75/90NS in an attempt to clear up, or at least help the rough gear change I have when cold.

I have the typical 2nd gear no-go when cold, and it seems I do the same as everyone else ... wait till the fans kick in before going anywhere.

I see a bunch of guys here that had luck with the "NS" redline oil and some claim that the 2nd gear problem is non existent with this magical fluid.

Anyway, I looked in the manual and see the drain plug on the bottom of the gearbox and the filler on the top which looks like a plug that requires a giant allen key.

And there in lies the question.

What size is the allen key for that sucker ?
Anyone know a good source for getting one, quickly ?

The largest I have is a 12mm and that's nowhere near the size.

Anyway, I'm happy to be a part of the Ferrari-talk forum and look forward to chatting with you all.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That's fabulous !
Thanks

That's fabulous !
Thanks for the link, I'll be out bright and early Saturday morning dropping my old oil and getting ready for a vegas trip !

With a little luck I'll see 2nd gear cold.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Simon,
Congrats on your ne

Hi Simon,
Congrats on your new 348!

Why are you so worried about using 2nd when cold?

I switched to Redline gear oil on my 355. It helped a little, but while code it was best to just go from 1st to 3rd. No one told about 2nd gear when I purchased my car, I almost broke the stick trying to jam it in

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hehehe, yes, I didn't know

Hehehe, yes, I didn't know about the 2nd gear issue when I bought mine either.

I'm not terribly worried about it, I'd like to make it the best I can though, and since it seems the consensus here that the redline juice works wonders I thought I'd give it a try posthaste.

I'm getting used to going 1st to 3rd with the occasional "test" to see if she'll take second in between the change.

Overall the gear change on this machine is very rough so I'm hoping the redline wonder tonic will at least alleviate some of that roughness.

I'll post back sometime over the weekend with my results.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There's another one if Red

There's another one if Redline doesn't do it.....

Royal Purple has noticed the Ferrari/Lamborghini niche market and I can always see what they'd offer for the application.......

Royal Purple being a sponsor of the Texas Running of the Bulls event.........

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
...second gear when cold has b

...second gear when cold has been a Ferrari issue for ....oh....about 35 years.

It's how we can sort the 'new guys'.......;)

Welcome to 'the club', brudda!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I changed to Mobile 1 years ag

I changed to Mobile 1 years ago and even yesterday at 20* outside I took the 308 out to get some gas . I can feel the difference shifting into 2nd vs the other gears but it is not a problem to do so. It seems everyone has their choise but I'll stick by Mobile for now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I agree it's a function of

I agree it's a function of the gearbox mechanics..........

There's only so much differenece between any of the various lubricants...Buy what's on sale!!!

Or provided as 'product support' sponsorship....;)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
You "old timers" are f

You "old timers" are funny. I pulled over and called the local ferrari shop about the car not wanting to go into second gear. The mechanic laughs and says "Everyone knows you can't use second gear on ferrari until it warms up..." I remember thinking to myself, "funny, I just read the manual and I sure did not read that anywhere, and no stickers in the car with such a warning.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
The oil did the trick. 2nd ge

The oil did the trick. 2nd gear is fine now, even from cold.
In the end I opted to squeeze the oil in through the dipstick hole since the top filler plug was firmly stuck and way too tight for the likes of me to open.

Not a hiccup driving out to Las Vegas and back. I put 1300 miles on it in 3 days. The engine sounds much "crisper" now.

Thanks for giving the "noob" a few pointers guys.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya know talking about the seco

Ya know talking about the second gear stickyness my 308 QV was impossible to shift until it was wwarm and my 348 was the same way, the TR is also hard to shift to 2nd when cold but this Euro 328 I just bought shifts into 2nd gear just fine when cold . I guess I finally got one built on Tuesday.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Simon,

A tip on getting th

Simon,

A tip on getting the fill plug loose. You have three different metals in play. Steel plug, copper washer, and aluminum case. These three metals expand and contract at different rates. Over time (heat cycles) the 25 pounds of torque used to tighten the plug turns into 150 pounds. Take a drift or large punch( as large as you can get it) and put down into the fill plug hex socket. Or if you have something large enough to go over the entire plug that will work too. Take a steel hammer and hit it twice. Make them a good hit, but you don't need to kill it. What this does is microscopically compacts the copper washer just enough to release some of the tension on the plug. You should then be able to remove the plug normally.

Another Jedi mind trick brought to you by, JRV...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts