Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, this is my very first p

Hello, this is my very first post here. I am considering the purchase of my first Ferrari. It's a 1984 308 GTSi QV. It's at a dealership in Shavertown, PA. After weeks of searching the internet, I've found most of the questions which I feel I need to ask the dealer, but I realize that he's out to sell cars. I really need someone in the area who (a) knows what he's doing; and (b) can examine and drive the vehicle and report back on its condition, etc. Any suggestions from those who are more experienced?

Thanks in advance.

Andrew

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
First you need to have a PPI &

First you need to have a PPI (pre-purchase-inspeciton) done on the car that should include going over all the major systems, a compresion or leak down test (or both) and it should be the mechanic of YOUR choice, not the dealers. I assume this is what you are asking for? Should cost you b/w $300-$500.

They should be willing to fax you an inspection report after they are done detailing what they checked and what did/did not work on the car.

One thing to realize is that these cars, regardless of condition, all ask the same money. The '84 QV cars are asking b/w $34-$40k with average miles (<40,000) and a decent service history.

Remember the major service, if you don'd do it yourself will set you back $3000 to $5000.

Sorry, I don't know any in the area that can help you out.

Good Luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This may not help either but t

This may not help either but there is a grey/red 85QV in the for sale section of this site. Looks to be a nice car at a reasonable proce. May want to have a look.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi Andrew,

I looked up wher

Hi Andrew,

I looked up where Shavertown is on the map and it appears to be about halfway between Pittsburgh and Philly. There's a dealer that seems to be relatively well respected - Alger - in Philadelphia. I don't know how much it would cost to have it shipped there for a PPI (you would have to pay for that), but the other piece of advice I can offer is that you really need to see this car for yourself. If the pics look good and you're really thinking about it, you need to catch a flight to PA to see it for yourself. Then you can decide how you want to handle the PPI and think about if you're ready to take the plunge.

Good Luck

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the feedback. Here

Thanks for the feedback. Here's a follow-up: I've contacted the previous owners (2 of them) and heard very good things about the car. I've received the maintenance records. Other than your odds and ends (blown relays, leaking hoses, etc.) the car looks quite good and has had it's 30K work performed. Of course, it has not had a recent PPI so I'm working on that. The car has 43K miles and the dealer is wanting $33,750.00 for it--at least that's the lowest that he will go. He tells me that the driver's seat is in poor shape, but everything else (from the photos, etc.) seems real good. What's your educated opinions on this one?

Andrew

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
trim is cheap, compared to mec

trim is cheap, compared to mechanical repairs, follow up with PPI.

New seat covers: Reoriginals, Houston Texas

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
You really need to see the car

You really need to see the car in person. There is absolutely no substitute for this. All cars look good in pictures; it’s really hard to tell. Get a cheap flight and see the car. Don't think that you are saving money on the car by not spending the money on travel. Buying a car sight unseen is very difficult even for those people who do it for a living with people they know.

Otherwise, everything you have said seems fine.

Also, ask for the tools/jack/manuals. If they are not complete could be good for another say $500 in price negotiation.

Just my 2 cents

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Another small update. I agree

Another small update. I agree with Drew, every car looks nice in a photo. I have no problem flying there to see it in person, but my main problem is getting a PPI. It seems that this dealership is 100+ miles from a major city (Philadelphia) so there's a reluctance to go out there for any reasonable price.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
IF service records seem comple

IF service records seem complete, and IF the car appears well maintained and IF the price is attractive enough, you can gamble...
but be aware an engine rebuild is about 10 -12K of these car's value.

Are you a lucky person?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I have two compromise suggesti

I have two compromise suggestions.

Call Algar in Phili or Exotic Cars or Auto Palace in Pittsburgh. See if they have a mechanic or know of someone who you can pay to go look at the car in Shaverton and do a PPI. Dealerships hate techs working on the side but most of the guys I use to know at the old FAF did it. Explain the problem to Algar, et al and see if they can recommend someone. Even without a lift you should receive enough information about the car to make a decision.

or

How handy are you? Seeing the car in person and driving it will tell a lot. The big items are engine, trans and paint/interior. If you see the car and drive it, make sure it shifts properly and that 2nd gear syncro is good you are a fair ways there. Make sure it tracks straight and that the steering is not loose.

That leaves the engine. Do you feel comfortable buying a compression testor ($100) and doing the compression test yourself. It is really not that difficult. If not, see if the dealership in Shaverton, PA can get a mechanic there to do a compression test while you are there. It will not take that long. This is also a reasonable thing to ask for.

The trick is to get comfortable enough with the car to reasonably ensure that you are getting what you are paying for and that there are no major problems.

Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I pulled the trigger today. I

I pulled the trigger today. I bought a 1984 Ferrari 308 GTS QV with 43K miles on it. It's black with tan leathers. It runs well and has full service records. The price was $33,750.00. When I tried to dicker with the dealership, they threw in a new clutch job (meaning a new clutch) as the old one was getting a bit thin, and a new set of cam belts with covers (although the old cam belt was installed at 30,136 miles). The only real flaw is the driver's side seat which is a little worn out. Anyone know who has good "for pleasure use only" insurance?

Now, I need a good divorce lawyer when my wife finds out.

Satient2003

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
For insurance I have Hagerty C

For insurance I have Hagerty Collectors insurance. Can't use as a daily driver, running errands etc...use for club related activities, drives and shows and they prefer that you keep the mileage under the industry standard of 3,000 miles a year. The insurance is full coverage for AGREED VALUE. Very important. I pay 256 a year (no deductable) for my '78, (considered an antique because it is 25 years old). Yours will cost more under the exotic classification.

Chubb/Grundy Collectors insurance is another popular one for the newer Fcars.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Tell her it's hers!!!! ;

Tell her it's hers!!!! ;)

That might work, my new gf likes it alot better than my first wife did......

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Congratulations Andrew!!!!!

Congratulations Andrew!!!!!

You need to get your wife with Amy (my wife). She can help ease the blow.
I would love to see your car sometime.

We have a lot of Ferrari Owners Club events in our area. You will see them posted here on Ftalk often.

http://www.ferrariownersclub.com/menu.htm

For my seats I used a company out of Louisiana. They did an awesome job and were very reasonable on price.

My seat pictures:

http://www.ferrari-talk.com/discus/messages/3111/1697.html

Take care,

Jeremy

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hi,

I use Grundy for my 73

Hi,

I use Grundy for my 73 dino. I pay about $900 but the agreed value is $70,000 (higher the agreed value the more it costs). There is no limit on miles you can drive but you cann't have it as the primary car and use it for work but you can drive it for enjoyment not just to shows. They want a picture of you garage too.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Thanks all for the support &#4

Thanks all for the support (I'll need it). I look forward to quality time with this car. Mosesman, I emailed you about Grundy's contact info, I'd like to get it. Thanks again. I'll post more when she arrives.

Andrew

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Andrew,

Didn't get your

Andrew,

Didn't get your E-mail but Grundy's phone number is 1 800 3384005. Ask for Chuck.

Dennis

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I HAVE BOUGHT TWO CARS SIGHT U

I HAVE BOUGHT TWO CARS SIGHT UNSEEN BUT HAD TO RELY ON OTHERS' OPINIONS...ONE WAS A PERFECT 412, THE OTHER WAS A NOT SO PERFECT 308. I strongly recommend that you spend the money and fly to the dealership anf see the car. They all look good in pictures...but in the flesh is another story.Also ascertain that the 30,000 mile service was done within the last five years, as one needs to be done every five years, whether 30,000 miles have been driven on the car or not.

Good luck.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Coach, thanks for the advice.

Coach, thanks for the advice. I have had someone check the car out--so it's not sight unseen. Also, this car was sold by its prevous owner to the dealership last month (very end of May) and I spoke with him. This owner said that it was the best car he's ever owned and would not have sold it except for his new 355. I doubt too much has occurred since the sale, but you never know.

Andrew

1 - 20 of 28 Posts