Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess this car will have to

I guess this car will have to remain in Italy. Can't import any 512 BB any more can you....once they leave this country they can't come back either...am I wrong?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I believe any car older than 2

I believe any car older than 25 years is exempt from the Nhtsa requirements so anything older than 1980 can be imported.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I keep hearing some people say

I keep hearing some people say that Boxers cannot be imported into the US anymore. This is not correct. As Jeff states in his post, any car older than 25 years can be brought into the US without the need for DOT/EPA certification. The DOT would never single out one model like the Boxer. I believe that the source for this "cannot import Boxers anymore" story is an article in the February 1998 issue of Forza magazine. This issue contained a "Boxer Buyer's Guide" and it includes a statement to the effect that no Boxer can be imported into the US since 1990. I do not know if this was correct at one time, but I can tell you from personal experience that in the year 2000 I was thinking about importing a Boxer and I worked with Dick Merritt at the U.S. DOT. According to Dick and confirmed by information from the DOT website, any 25-year old car can be imported free from DOT/EPA certification requirements. It is interesting to note that the Forza article was probably written in mid or late 1997, at which time no Boxer would have been 25 or more years old. I wonder if that was the basis for their statement.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Good point Steve b!!!!!

Som

Good point Steve b!!!!!

Sometimes it's good to stop and re-evaluate all these Ferrari Urban Legends.........thanks!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Of course, there's that SM

Of course, there's that SMALL issue of the Euro vs. Dollar right now!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yes, Alan, the exchange rate f

Yes, Alan, the exchange rate factor might actually result in Boxers leaving the US as Europeans take advantage of the rate.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts