Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Hope you're all well.

Hi. Hope you're all well. We've been moving right along. We made headlight covers by making male/female molds.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Everytime I see that rich red

Everytime I see that rich red it is just amazing - I'm sure more so in person.

I think you mentioned that this is a Bob Wallace engine. I'm sure he has some great stories. I wonder if he dyno'd or started it yet, and if there a mineral oil break in to seat the rings (like an airplane). I'd even buy a ticket to come to the New York frontier to hear and see that car.

Just fabulous, and many thanks for the photos.
best
rt

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
SWEEEEEEEEEET car Jim! I have

SWEEEEEEEEEET car Jim! I have never seen a P4 in person. Awesome awesome awesome!!!!

Welcome to Ftalk.

Have no fear, even with only 2 posts, you will be treated with respect.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The engine was rebuilt by Bob

The engine was rebuilt by Bob and Alberto Pedretti.
They've run it in. It's ready to roar.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I don't know a whole lot a

I don't know a whole lot about the P4 in general but your car looks fantastic. It's always great to see a real enthusiast at work

Great job and thanks for the pics.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What a beauty, bet you can&#39

What a beauty, bet you can't wait for the first click of the key and road test.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Jim, refreash my memory about

Jim, refreash my memory about the history of this car. I remember the posts and pics on the other board but can't remember the details. BTW it looks fantastic! How long has it been?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
J. Grande,

The history of t

J. Grande,

The history of the car? You gotta be kidding me.

People write entire books about cars like this. As a matter of fact if I remember correctly Jim was even contemplating the idea of writing a book on his three classic endurance racers. If you can't wait there are publications like "Ferrari, by Hans Turner and Doug Nye" that will give you a cursory look at P4s.

Maybe if you make your question more specific and Jim feels so inclined there will be an easier way to answer this sort of question. I understand that Jim is probably writing the book (so to speak) as he goes along, but maybe I'm mistaken by saying that it sounds a bit farfetched to wrap it up in a nutshell and drop in on us on an internet thread.

If you want the previous information disclosed, I would strongly suggest going back to the other board and checking it out.

Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
J
The history of this car is

J
The history of this car is a long and winding road.
The bottom line is forensic examination, statements from people who were there, and documentary evidence, have led me to believe that parts of my chassis are the remains of 0846.
Ferrari SPA is aware of my belief and has helped me by recasting uprights listed as "P4 SUSPENSION PA" on a Ferrari NA invoice.
Many people, including Ferrari are trying to figure it out and all of the information I've gathered will be published in an appropriate place when the car is finished.
For several years pics and details of my car have been posted on the Ferrari Owners Web site hosted by Ferrari SPA. including my listing it as 0846.
0846 was the P4 that finished 1 oa at Daytona in 67.
This is a photo taken from a frame of the BBC TV coverage of the 67 LeMans race where it burned.
Unlike what some "experts" believed it was not, at that point totally destroyed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Jim has my vote for Ferrari en

Jim has my vote for Ferrari enthusiast of the century!!!!!

You are almost finishet Jim. What an awesome project.

The more pictures I see of rebuilt engines and restored cars makes me want to do the same to mine. The 308 is truely a timeless design. I don't think I will ever sell her.

JL

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Taek, I know the history of th

Taek, I know the history of the p4,
what I ment was specifically Jim's car, I guess I should have been more specific. The P4 is probably my all time favorite Ferrari.

Jim, that's a great story. Is there anything specific that makes you believe it is 0846? These old racers were never really ment to be rebuilt, and if they were they were rebadged as something new so I guess there is no number stamped on the chasis.

We really are only caretakers of these cars aren't we? If sheet metal could talk!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Jim

You are doing and outst

Jim

You are doing and outstanding job with this historical piece. Please continue to post more pics on this site, they will be much more appreciated here then anywere else. I don't doubt for one minute the statments you have made regarding this cars history.
Maybe one day I'll make the trip out to see it with my own eyes when you have it at a show. It would be very cool to see my all time favorite car in person.

Tom

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Tom
Thanks. I'm constantl

Tom
Thanks. I'm constantly amused by the increadibly strong opinions some who've never seen what I'm talking about first hand have and how they, unlike Ferrari, are SURE I'm wrong and, or, are doing this for some sort of monetary gain.
Best
Jim

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Jim, I didn't mean to come

Jim, I didn't mean to come across as not believing you, quite the contrary. I believe it is 0846. I was just curious to know the mystery behind these cars. These old racers have fascinating stories and I just wanted to know more of it. Like where it came from, was it found in a barn, in an old warehouse, stuff like that. I didn't intend to offend.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
J.,

here's your answer

J.,

here's your answer again.

>"Many people, including Ferrari are trying to figure it out and all of the information I've gathered will be published in an appropriate place when the car is finished."<

Mr. G's answer seems complete and appropriate for this venue. So let's all sit back and enjoy what Mr. G wishes to share with us and leave all the unrelated questions for other times and other places.

Regards, JRV
BTW - the Resto section isn't really the place for drawn out conversations of the type being asked here. Sure comments are great and let the poster know their work and effort is appreciated, but long threads of pure conversation are best up top in General or Tech, or maybe even Off Topic.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Right! PLEEEEAAAASE!!!!!!!

Right! PLEEEEAAAASE!!!!!!!

And I'll be first in line when that book comes out!

1 - 20 of 54 Posts