Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all

My 365bb wheels look

Hi all

My 365bb wheels look terrible at the moment. The previous owner had them painted several years ago and over time the paint has become wrinkled in several sections. The paintshop I spoke to suggested that after stripping, the wheels should be coated with magnesium chromium and then painted. They suggested wrinkling is common and due to minute amounts of gases released from the wheel once they heat up. The magnesium chromium apparently acts as a sealer. These guys do lots of Ferraris but I would be interested if anyone else has received similar advice or has other suggestions

Thanks

Greg

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Greg,
One thought comes t

Greg,
One thought comes to mind about painted wheels. Make sure that under the failed paint area's on the wheel, you don't have any cracks in the metal. A crack in the wheel will telegraph itself through the paint and cause the paint to fail. Clean down to bare metal and inspect carefully. If you think that you may have a crack, you can buy a "Zyglo" crack checking kit at any welding supply store for around $35 dollars. Easy to use. I sure that your paint may have just failed, but a broken wheel at speed is no fun.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts