Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, I'm sure this i

Hello all, I'm sure this is probably an old topic, but I'm new to the forum and need some advice.

To make a long story short: I am looking at 355's. I don't mind buying a less than perfect car with a few miles. It is *possible* that I could buy a car that needs some work as well. I have read about the valve guide problem and am not prepared to tackle that... but perhaps suspension work, clutch work and maybe even timing belts I could do. I've done a fair amount of work on some other cars, but of course have no Ferrari specific tools- which I understand can be expensive.

With that in mind... what should I shoot for in a 355? Is it possible to buy one of these (like a '95 with 30k+ mi.) in the $50-60k range.. ?

Incidentally, I would likely put the car on the track for lapping days, etc.. if that makes a difference.

Thanks in advance,
Eric

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Eric,

All of the 95's 3

Eric,

All of the 95's 355's I saw when I was looking were in the 70 to 80 range. Cars needing service were on the low end and cars with updated valve guides and recent services were on the high end.

Some challenge 355's can be had in the 60's but they are not streetable, though some 95's have titles I believe.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
agree with Vincent, that you&#

agree with Vincent, that you'll have a hard time with that price range. I've seen 355's needing $25K - $30K worth of work and they were still asking in the mid 70's. Unfortunately the trashed cars are not advertised as trashed...they are waxed and offered at normal or inflated prices. There are many ticking time bombs out there (355's can go nuclear), be careful what you wish for.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the above. I do rea

Thanks for the above. I do realize that I probably am looking at more than 60k, but I guess I need to clarify my question.

I don't mind a fairly used vehicle. What are acceptable things that need work that are ok and what should I stay away from? I am assuming a bad clutch is easy to deal with, and other things are not. I would even consider are car needing some limited body work *if* replacement body panels do not equal more than the cost deduction of the original purchase.

I'm sure every one wants a free Ferrari.. I'm not unrealistic about this. I just can't bring myself to pay for perfect paint when I'll probably trash the car anyways...

So what problems are generally ok, and what are not?

Thanks, Eric

p.s. thanks, not looking for a spider

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Eric,

your question can&#39

Eric,

your question can't be answered for 2 reasons. All cars are different & have different problems and second almost no one is going to admit the car has any issues at all.

The way it's generally done is to simply find a car in your color, mileage & price range and have a PPI done. The PPI if done correctly will uncover any issues, and from there you can decide if those issues are the ones you want to deal with.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Eric,

I did hear of one 355

Eric,

I did hear of one 355 that sold for around 60k maybe a little less. It had 102,000 miles and was still running...very high mileage might be another option.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts