Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, the suspension rebuild c

Well, the suspension rebuild continues to move right along. The rear is apart, parts out getting cleaned and power-coated, and the required parts in hand or on order. I'm replacing the inner bushings (using ES), shocks, and outer bushings. The outer (hub carrier) bushings (# 4 on parts diagram) are being replaced, inner bushing (# 8), teflon coated washers (# 9) , and all rubber seals #'s 6 and 7). The chromed cylindrical inner bushings (# 11) all show no appreciable wear and the chrome is intact.
Now to the questions: when inserting the outer bushings into the "A" frames my bet is that it is best to have the inner bushings inserted into the outer bushing. Correct? Second, will the inner bushings require honing/reaming before the inner cylindrical bushings will fit? Finally, another "secrets" to doing this or is it fairly straight forward?
As always, thanks in advance for the help and advice.
Steve Schroeder

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Stephen,

I believe David

Hi Stephen,

I believe David F. is doing the rear suspension on his Boxer and coud surely give you pointers.

While you have the hubs off are you replacing the stub axle bearings? Probably a good idea.

Regards, JRV

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Actually the hubs are still on

Actually the hubs are still on the car, carefully held straight and in the same relative location as when the "A" frame are on. Haven't given much thought to doing the hubs as the reason I'm doing this at all is because everything is 22 years old - that is to say the vehicle was fine before I started the project. However, there is merit to doing a complete job while everything is apart.
I understand that getting the nuts and bolts off the half-shafts can be a REAL pain. I suspect a press is needed to remove the hub components. I would replace two bearings and two seals in each hub. Thanks for the good advice.
Steve Schroeder

1 - 3 of 3 Posts