Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the rebuild kit that Pier

With the rebuild kit that Pierce Manifolds used on my carbs came with an "Insulator Block" (A 3mm gasket-like piece of hard plastic that the Ferrari parts manual calls a "Distanziale, " or Spacer, in Table 14 of the 78 308 parts manual.

The kit also contained a "Base Gasket," which is the exact pattern and shape of the spacer ring but is made of 1/2mm grey standard gasket-like material.

These base gaskets weren't originally on the car, and aren't called for in the parts manual. My guess is, they're designed to go inbetween the carb and the thick plastic insulator block. Are they of use?

--Mike

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Mike,

The use of plastic &#

Mike,

The use of plastic (phenolic)spacer, between the carb and the intake manifold is always a good idea. It's purpose is to act as a heat insulator...hence preventing the fuel in the carb from getting too hot, or even boiling. The spacer should always have a gasket on both sides of it, to insure a good seal between the carb and the spacer...and the spacer and the manifold.

Regards,
David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Mike,

Unless carb bases ar

Mike,

Unless carb bases are recently machined flat again they are most likely warped to some degree or another and in situations where the warpage is minimal the gaskit may well help with sealing and minimize carb base air leaks.

The flip side is any compressable material under the carbs will exagerate warpage if the corners are over tighened.

And like David mentions the phenolic spacers should always be used.

Regards, JRV

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the help guys. I be

Thanks for the help guys. I believe by 3mm insulator blocks *are* the phenolic spacers that you're referring to. That's what they're called in the parts manual, anyway ("spacers").

I only have a single gasket, presumably for inbetween the spacer and the carb. Or should this go inbetween the spacer and the manifold?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would speculate between spac

I would speculate between spacer & carbto further reduce heat transfer and enhance seal. But a clarification from PM would be in order just to make sure.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
The Daytona uses these heat in

The Daytona uses these heat insulator blocks as well, but with a conventional paper gasket on both sides. I'd get the additional gaskets and do it that way. Works for me.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
well, I was under the assumpti

well, I was under the assumption that these new 'spacers' came with gaskits attached on both sides, per original, true or not?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
JRV, you're exactly right.

JRV, you're exactly right. I didn't put it together that the covering on either side of the spacer was in fact the gasket; it is.

So, on either side of the spacer/insulator block, there's a 1/2mm gasket. Having realize that, I just used the spacers and did not use the base cover gasket included with the rebuild kit from Weber.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Mike,

Did you do the carbs

Mike,

Did you do the carbs yourself or did Pierce do them?

Do they have a web site?

I'm contemplating rebuilding/rejetting the carbs on my car since I've got so much off on the 30K service right now.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I had Pierce do them. [url="ht

I had Pierce do them. www.piercemanifolds.com. Contact there is Mike. Apparently, carb rebuilds are on an "appointment basis" and they're booked for quite some time unless they have a "cancellation"!

I thought they did a very professional job at a fair price ($200/carb).

They're very clean, and I even got the list of the items in their rebuild kit. Basically every wear item except floats. They also redo the throttle shaft and put on sealed bearings instead of the original, grease-often exposed ones.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts