Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm trying to block some t

I'm trying to block some time out on my schedule to do belt, bearing,water pump service etc. on my T/R. I will be doing it at my race shop that is well equipped and has a twin post lift. I am a fairly good "wrench". Anybody have any sense of the time required for this and/or flat rate time?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anything under 3 weeks and you

Anything under 3 weeks and you'll be doing Very good...

Flat rate is about 60 hrs for what you describe..the flat rate book was based on 'warranty times' and issued well over a decade ago....

Regards, JRV

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am still doing my TR major s

I am still doing my TR major service.........I started last August!!!!!!!!!!! Obviously, I am in no hurry. I should be finished by the end of July.

The Ferrari dealer told me that the flat rate book states it takes 8 hrs (each) to remove, and install the engine.........the mechanic told me he could do each in 4 hrs. After looking back I would tend to agree with the 4 hrs, since it isn't that bad. Of course, while the engine is out, the fun begins!!!!!!! This will take much longer than 4 hrs. I would guess a couple of weeks. So 3 weeks, as suggested by JRV, sounds about right..........unless you have "everything" in front of you to prepare for arising problems.

The main problem comes from wrecked nuts, bolts, and having to Heli-coil some holes. This takes extra time in ordering, and waiting for parts.

Don't forget, a major also includes a valve adjustment........many of mine where off.

Good luck!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Henry,

the Ferrari "tim

Henry,

the Ferrari "time guide book" states 20 hrs just to R&R the engine alone....this assumes one wants to actually drive the car that idles, has fluids, tires back on it, brakes, etc at some point.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JRV: My estimate did not incl

JRV: My estimate did not include draining, or refilling fluids.....nor does it include tuning the engine. I was told (by the Ferrari service manager) 16 hours (book rate) just to R&R the engine alone.........but this was 6 years ago. He could have been wrong.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Whoa!! I'm way to cheap..

Whoa!! I'm way to cheap...Time to adjust my prices accordingly...

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Guys...3 weeks = 120 hrs....ge

Guys...3 weeks = 120 hrs....getting 60 hrs of rock solid billable work done.

not exactly the road to riches.

now here's the catch...all that work has to come with a Full Warranty, no excuses....

now here's the second catch, an owner that will accept far from the best work, and a shop that's clueless about the product and "what it really requires" maintanance wise, calls a dealer, gets the huge quote, then does half the real work required for some low ball get the car in the door price.

The real "value" behind Ferrari service has always been how experienced and meticulas the mechanic doing the work is. Perfect work lasts far longer, therefore extends shop visits and dramatically reduces cost per mile.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Believe me,doing this for 12 y

Believe me,doing this for 12 years now, everything gets done and is warranted, just that I have charged 45 hours, no matter how long is taken, some time may be added for non service items undertaken or mischievous bolts etc.. I agree, no road to riches, but explains why things are tight around here....

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi guys can any one hook me up

Hi guys can any one hook me up with the source wher i will be able to get some info on my car ...?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts