Ferrari Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
Last weekend while warming up

Last weekend while warming up my 250 GT I was shocked to see the oil pressure drop to nothing. I gave it some gass and the pressure returned to normal. After a while I noticed the gauge drop again to nothing, then rise slowly to normal again. It then remained at normal until I shut it off. The car has immediate oil pressure when started, and I have only seen this happen before just after changing the oil. It seemed to need to run for a while before the pressure would stay constant. Any ideas?

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
250's have a capillary typ

250's have a capillary type oil pressure gauge, it's possible you had some air in the tube that needed time to compress or expell.

When was the last time the oil hose from the block to the gauge was replaced/renewed ?

Single piece or dual piece oil pick-up tube?

Which oil filter set-up do you have, the screen only or the screen and fender mounted additional canister or do you have an inside plug 250?

Regards, JRV

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
JRV
Hoses have probably not b

JRV
Hoses have probably not been replaced in 20 years.
I don't know about the pickup tube, I will have to research that. It is an inside plug with the fender mount canister.
Bill

G

·
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Bill,

On the dual piece

Hi Bill,

On the dual piece pick-up tube cars I've seen the connecting hose made out of heater hose and even a garden hose once, needless to say they didn't last. On the single piece pick-ups the sceens can clog or the pipe can crack at the weld or wear a hole at the clamp due to age & vibration. I would look at this as something to consider after other pieces are reviewed.

The original brown hose to remake the capillary oil lines was still availible last time I needed some from someone....I'll have to dig thru my notes. Perhaps Ferrari UK has the oil hose in bulk (sold by the inch last time I bought)? If so they would probably be the best source.

The hoses are renewable thanks to the screw type ends used. Not easily mind you, but carefully done they come apart and can be reassembled exactly as original.

When was the last time the canister cartridge was changed?

Regards, JRV

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
I only have two or three miles

I only have two or three miles on the car since the oil filter canister was changed. But the engine has been run for probably a half hour total.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
>>But the engine has b

>>But the engine has been run for probably a half hour total.<<

To verify the "real oil pressure" and set the pressure relief valve properly it's advised to use an oil pressure tester gauge such as the type most tool companies like Snap-On or Mac sell. The calibration of such gauges is far more accurate and reliable for testing and setting purposes than the Ferrari dash gauge.

Regards, JRV

1 - 6 of 6 Posts