Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ferrari fear title could slip

Ferrari fear title could slip away

Ferrari fear Michael Schumacher could miss out on a record sixth Formula One title even though the German needs only one point from the final race of the season to clinch the crown.
Schumacher's victory at the US Grand Prix saw him move nine points clear of Kimi Raikkonen in the championship.

But Ferrari technical director Ross Brawn is worried about a repeat of the 1986 campaign, when Nigel Mansell held a six-point lead going into the final race before suffering a puncture and gifting the title to Alain Prost.

"We've all got memories of Nigel in 1986. It would be a tragedy for us if we got that close and didn't win it," said Brawn.
"In many ways there is more pressure just to score one point than going into a championship when it is pretty equal.

"It's not won yet so we are not counting anything yet. It's going to be quite tough," Brawn said.

"It is going to be a very hard two weeks between now and Suzuka and we've got the constructors to try and win so we have to take our normal approach.

"To try and do anything different would be a mistake so I just hope the weather gods shine on us in Suzuka.

You don't take chancy decisions in a race if you know you've got to score points
Ferrai technical director
Ross Brawn
The Italian team are now three points ahead of Williams, whose top driver Juan Pablo Montoya saw his championship hopes fade away after he finished in sixth place at Indy.
Schumacher is now determined to finish the season in style and wrap up the title with victory in Suzuka.

But Brawn insists Ferrari are simply intent on securing another double after an up-and-down season.

"That would be a really special end to the season, but really you make decisions during a race," Brawn said.

"You don't take chancy overtaking decisions in a race if you know you've got to score points."

"It would be special to win it in more difficult circumstances and against much stronger opposition.
"I know there are a lot of people who would like to see someone else win the championship and I understand that.

"But so many people have been supporting us and it was such a fantastic drive from Michael at Monza, so this year it would be a bit special."

Story from BBC SPORT:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/pr/fr/-/sport1/hi/motorsport/formula_one/3148338.stm

Published: 2003/09/29 10:41:01 GMT

© BBC MMIII

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I think he was extreme lucky w

I think he was extreme lucky whe he passed Panis just a couple of feet before the yellow flag at turn 1 when Rubens spun. A few more feet and he would have been penalize

But, then again, I'm not a 5 time World Champion.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts