Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all:
I would very much

Hello all:
I would very much appreciate your help. A very rich friend of mine bought a '99 355 Spider brand new back in 1999. He has only put 3000 miles on it since. It has paddle shifters and a very expensive stereo that he added (I didn't ask him how much he paid for it, but it could very well be $5,000 or maybe more.) He has offered to sell me the car, for, what I hope, will be a song. So, here is where I need your help. I don't want to insult him, but, since he is probably willing to let me "steal" it, what should I offer him? Put yourself in my position. What would you offer him to see if he would go for it? Again, it should be less than what he can sell it to a dealer for, but not insulting. Thanks so much for your valuable input.
Sam

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
In that situation I would put

In that situation I would put the burdon of pricing on him. He is, after all, the seller.

Market for a 1999 355 F1 Spider is in the $90-110k range. The extremely low mileage should subtract from the selling price. A six YO car with 3k miles...be prepared for a service...it is probably due anyway, so figure $7-10k for a major.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am in agreement with Jeremy:

I am in agreement with Jeremy:: $100K +/- probably a little minus of $5K-9K due to the lack of miles. The rubber components in the car deteriorate with age, and only have goodly long lives when used often (like 100 miles a month). Expect that he has not replaced the battery, and this will fall upon you at some point in the not very distant future.

In addition to the engine major service {engine out, belts, fluids,...}, you should also replace the tires if they (too) are 6 years old, even if they look just fine. Tires harden with age and loose their grip, and the newer max performance tires are light years ahead of what was available in 1999.

Have a mechanic that is knowledgeable in Ferraries give the car a through prepurchase inspection. Be sure to have him give the F1 system a thourough look over as these things are notorious for being very expensive to put right.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts