Ferrari Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter #1
The threads are stripped out

The threads are stripped out of the inspection hole in my tranny. I've temporarily installed an expansion rubber freeze plug, but am concerned about getting this fixed. Questions:

How involved /expensive would it be to install a heliocoil?
Is there an oversized /self-tapping plug for this opening which I could obtain somewhere?
What is the thread size of this plug?

I noticed that the threads which are shot are at the beginning of the hole, but that it is a long orifice with plenty of good threads beyond the point where the plug ends. Could I use a longer plug? Would a bolt of the same thread size do the trick?

Any help would be much appreciated.

G

·
Discussion Starter #2
Bill: It is OK to use a longe

Bill: It is OK to use a longer plug, as long as the extra length doesn't inerfere with anything inside. Does the original plug have an Allen socket type head on it? If so, the hole is probably tapered (pipe thread). Meaure the original plug, at the base and at the end.......this will tell you if it is tapered. Go to a hardware store, and see if you can match the thread. Be careful, since it is metric. I don't know if Heli-Coil makes "tapered" thread inserts. Remember, bolts are NOT tapered.

To thread it, would allow chips to get inside the trans......not a good idea.

G

·
Discussion Starter #3
I found a drain plug for a BMW

I found a drain plug for a BMW--same thread, but a bit longer. It screwed into the good threads nicely, by-passing the lager , stripped part of the hole.

G

·
Discussion Starter #5
Is this a tapered plug? If so

Is this a tapered plug? If so, it just might be American pipe thread standard. I am not sure, but I thought someone said that Europeans don't make metric pipe threads.......they use the American system.

G

·
Discussion Starter #6
Bill,
The plug hole size is 2

Bill,
The plug hole size is 20mm x 1.5mm pitch...
I recently used the Ferrari drain plugs in a BMW differential I'm rebuilding...

Regards,
David

G

·
Discussion Starter #7
David: Aren't Allen head

David: Aren't Allen head plugs of a tapered thread?........by design.

Hank

G

·
Discussion Starter #8
Hank,

Actually...no. It is

Hank,

Actually...no. It is a straight thread, without any taper in both the Ferrari and BMW applications I've worked with. It is not common, nor prudent to use a tapered plug in aluminum...

Regards,
David

G

·
Discussion Starter #9
Does anyone know of a metric h

Does anyone know of a metric hardware supplier where I might obtain a longer 20mm x 1.5 bolt to use as a plug?

1 - 9 of 9 Posts