Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just started strippin

I've just started stripping the rear suspension on my 512BB as part of a general overhaul. It seems to me that the sensible thing to do is to replace all of the bushings but looking at the prices of the parts its going to get very expensive. (No surprise there). Should I be more conservative? Is it reasonable to only replace those that look bad and if so, what am I looking for?

As far as the shocks are concerned what's the best way to check they're ok? Can anyone suggest how to get them overhauled in the u.k. if this is the way to go.

Thanks for your help.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hi Jeremy,

I just finished

Hi Jeremy,

I just finished doing a rear suspension overhaul on my 365BB...

Other than the obvious cracking/dry rot of the rubber edges of the bushings, it's very difficult to determine the real condition of the bushings. The (larger) inner bushings take most of the loads...and tend to deteriorate quicker. I felt that since it had been 14 years since I had last replaced them, now was the time...

I replaced all of the bushings using polyurethane ones made by Energy Suspension. Here's the link:

http://www.suspension.com/ferrari.htm

Total cost of the poly bushings was $230 USD.

The sway bar and end link bushing were purchased from Ferrari. As for the shocks, likely it's cheaper to just buy news ones...I purchased mine from T. Rutland's in Atlanta, though other supplies have them from time to time. Figure about $140 USD per shock, plus $100 for all new rubber spring mounts. Shock busings should be replaced, as well...since the new shocks won't come with them. Figure $15-$20 per bushing x 4 shocks.

Prior to installation of the shocks, be sure to verify the inital settings (turns-in). I set mine to 1.5 turns in...

Ride quality is excellent...and only slight firmer than stock. Now, the rear end of the car feel much more planted than ever before.

Total cost were just under $2,000, with labor being about 20 hours. A shop press and plenty on patience is required for this undertaking...as the old bushings can be quite the challenge to remove.

Regards,
David

1 - 2 of 2 Posts