Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, time has come and it’s tim

Hi, time has come and it’s time to bring first Ferrari to my garage. As synonym for Ferrari is in my eyes Testarossa so there’s no other option. After spending many hours on internet I’ve decided to go for 85-86 model (one side mirror). From many reasons I set myself 50k $ limit. It’s supposed to be more car for Sunday driving than racing. There’s a lot of questions from my side. Let’s start with the more simple ones and hopefully there’ll be answers from you guys who know about Ferraris everything
So – the most important one is regarding budget – is it possible to get decent one for this amount of money? If so what should be the most important things to check when observing car or getting information from owners / car dealerships? Thx a lot

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I wouldn't take a one eare

I wouldn't take a one eared TR if they gave it to me for free!

JMHO

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes you should be able to find

Yes you should be able to find a nice early TR for around $50k give or take a few thousand. I just sold my nice 87 black TR in this range. If you haven't done so yet, start learning all you can about TRs. There are several websites you should check out that have lots of information about these cars. There is a great deal of technical expertise here on this site. JRV and others here are tops and openly share thier wealth of knowledge and experience. However his opinion in response to your posting does surprise me a bit. I'm sure he's joking somewhat, but also there is a hint of truth in his comment too. TRs have very complex electrical systems regarding the fuel injection controls and functions. And sometimes they can be a real bugger to figure out. Other than this TRs are great cars.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I've gone thru this web be

I've gone thru this web before I started this thread and here I just wanted to summarize the whole thing before I decide. Everything seems to be relatively easy so far. I answered myself the question about buying/financing toy; found the agreement on my wife's side; know what year (thanks to our lovely government it can be onle 85 or 86 to get license plates - oltimer ones). I found few web pages offering TR's (usually strange cars without history or not matching the years). But with knowledge based on owning only boring family cars just wanted to know everything what's possible. Especially if maintenance costs are mentioned on each Testarossa article

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ok it seems it's not reall

Ok it seems it's not really easy to get more details from you - but anyway I'll keep trying
. I've just bought TR buying guide and as the regular services the following are mentioned - annual one roughly around 1500$ & Major service - 18k miles around 3500$ and cambelts (every 3 years) around 1600$. PLus TR is marked as pretty reliable to Ferrari standards. As I'm planning to have it as stress relief sunday car (4-5k miles a year) it'll take long time to go for that major service mentioned there. The other ones (annual & cambelts) seem to be pretty OK budgetwise. So as a conclusion - if I find car with history of servicing and ownership (ok I'm ready to pay a maybe a little bit more than budgeted 50k$
) then it should be OK. Is that like this or did I miss something ? And btw what was reason for previosly mentioned note about one eared TR ? Thx

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
On average a 30K mile major se

On average a 30K mile major service on a TR should cost you about 8K at an independent mechanic, and about 11K at the dealer. If I recall correctly the 30K service has to be accomplished every 30K miles OR 3 years.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Opinions vary greatly as to wh

Opinions vary greatly as to when TR major services are needed. But those with lots of experience say 5 years or 30k miles which ever comes first. I totally agree with this rule of thumb. Costs also very greatly. If you can do all of your own work (luckily I do) you can do everything for less than $2,000. A good independant shop would probably run about $4,000 to maybe $8,000. And dealers are lots more as Milton Souza says. As far as reliability, once you get a TR well sorted out they are very reliable. But you do have to keep after them and do preventive maintenance....this is part of what JRV is hinting at by his comments. If you get a bad TR you will spend thousands to get things right...ask me how I know. Also like JRV says resale is low. But in my opinion the Testarossa's star is about to shine. People are catching on to what a great car these can be if properly cared for. The myths of gigantic repair bills and junk components is slowly fading. I think it's only a matter of time before the TR is appreciated for what a great car it is. Till that time happens I would love to buy up a few more TRs at a bargain price while the gettin is good.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Marek - if interested, I have

Marek - if interested, I have a black/tan 1986 Testarossa with 32,000 miles. Major done at 31,000. Second owner. Very good condition. New leather dash. Tools and books. Your price range is my price range. Let me know if interested.

Jim S.
[email protected]

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.