Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just a brief question. How do

Just a brief question. How do tire pressure sensors work? Can anyone/I rotate the tires or does it have to be taken back to the dealer?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Drew,

In a nutshell, there

Drew,

In a nutshell, there are radio-based pressure senders in each wheel...So, rotating the tires won't affect anything. However, some vehicles may require you (the user, not the dealer) to reset the pre-set pressures in the low air pressure "computer". Your owner's manual will discuss this feature...and is important if the pressures are different front to rear.

For example...In my BMW, I set the pressures in the tires to the correct specs. I push the tire pressure button of the dash, to record these "correct" pressures...and I'm done. If any of the tires drops 3-4 psi below the "pre-sets", the warning light(s) will go on.

Regards,
David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi..........

Apparently tir

Hi..........

Apparently tire air pressure sensors may become mandatory devices on all vehicles soon, if the government decides to "legislate" their installation.

Only question: will it be a system which provides individual readouts from each corner of the car or a single readout for the lowest pressure in the four tires.

These devices were originally designed for use with "run flat" tires, which will only function well for a limited number of miles without air and obviously not reveal their need for air by visual inspection.

Government thought: many roll-over accidents are due to low tire air pressures, espcially in SUVs; installation of sensors on all vehicles will lower the accident rate..........if people pay attention to them !!??

Might be a good idea to get an aftermarket system for my Boxer !! Also might be a good idea to put one on the spare tire too, so that you know that it will have adequate air pressure when you need it.

Frank..........23005
www.masiarz.net/bb_resource

1 - 4 of 4 Posts