Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey JRV,
Miss your post's

Hey JRV,
Miss your post's on F-chat, don't see them much anymore???
I know this topic is overkill, but what would you use in a 88 TR for gear oil???
Thank's...Robert

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
>>Hey JRV,
Miss your

>>Hey JRV,
Miss your post's on F-chat, don't see them much anymore??? <<

HaHaHa.......something about being in the company of packs of flaming toon town trolls lost it's appeal.

there are good guys there, however they are far outnumbered by undesirables and guys I just personally think very little of, and with such a great bunch of High Quality members here, there really is no reason for me to go elsewhere to help out.

Welcome to Ferrari-Talk...

The guys here are having good results using both Redline or Royal Purple. Both have GL5 spec oils that are high quality and reportedly improve cold shifting.

Happy Holidays , JRV

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I don't post a whole lot,

I don't post a whole lot, but F-chat can be quite interesting!!!! My friend DJ told me about this site, very cool!!!! I will be a reg on this now..
Thank's for the info, and you also have a great Holiday!!!....Robert
P.S. How the hell do you use the smiling faces??? Can not seem to make them go where I want!! Thank's....Again

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JRV:

On a related note, I j

JRV:

On a related note, I just purchased a case of Agip Rotra LSX SAE 75W-90W for my 308QV. The LSX has the limited slip additive. Should I use this gear oil, or the SXA version which does not have the limited slip additive.

Thanks.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hi Ken.

By all means use th

Hi Ken.

By all means use the LSX in a 308...the SXA is for Non LS applications.

308 LS Diffs are not known to chatter by & large, but Daytonas sure are, and as the LS Diffs get older with more mileage it becomes even more important to preserve their (and TR's) lifespan.

Regards, JRV

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Robert. To put a smiley fac

Hi Robert. To put a smiley face use the : followed by the ). HTML will turn it into the little yellow smiley face.

Welcome to F-Talk

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks a lot JRV. A lot of pe

Thanks a lot JRV. A lot of people were telling me not to use the LSX, or any Limited Slip, additive since it would cause other problems. This did not make any since to me. The manual recommends Agip Rotra SX SAE 75W-90W which I do not believe has any limited slip additive

Ken

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Jeremy [IMG]http://www.

Thanks Jeremy

I will give that a try!! And thank's for the welcome, very neat site for car repair info. I try and do everything on my Tr if possible!!
Robert..
It worked!! That was toooo easy..thank's again..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I am also a new member and hav

I am also a new member and have just read some of the posts, and have to say I am impressed with the level of technical help given and the politeness in what I have read, I think Robert O said it all earlier “very cool!!!! I too will be a reg on this now..”
Also JRV, I have got to agree with you F-Chat is getting worse, it is about 50% useful and informative and 50% crap / waste of time. Good to see you are over here.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hi Stephen,

Welcome aboard.

Hi Stephen,

Welcome aboard.

We have a great group of owners & enthusiasts here that keep the place friendly, helpful and top shelf imo. Politeness to others is SOP in the mature, civilized world when mentally and emotionally well and mature people come together, and the internet doesn't have to be any different, imo. Passions & Hobbies and even learning can & should be fun and cordial.

Welcome again and Happy Holidays, JRV

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I use Castrol "Hypoy C&#34

I use Castrol "Hypoy C" 75W-95 gear oil in both my TR and Boxer...seems to work fine, and it "exceeds GL-5 rating". It is very reasonable in price, and can be bought at any local AutoZone store.

While Readline and Royal Purple are probably the best, I find them too expensive, and not really needed. I would use them only if I raced my cars, which I don't. For my type of driving....cruising; spirited, at times......Castrol is just fine.

Besides, the money saved goes for other Ferrari parts!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
A trick that an old builder pa

A trick that an old builder passed to me, I'll pass along. Add a quart of Type "F' auto transmission fluid to the gear oil. Type F has a much higher level of friction for clutches, bands etc. We used to fill GM automatics with Type F, and the result was firmer shifts, with no damage to any parts, or down side. If anythign, the trans tended to last better due to less slippage.
BTW: Roger on the "Flame War BS". Too often people just lip synch what they read, true or not.
HTH, Glad I'm here!
Kermit

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
JRV: Regarding the TR; coming

JRV: Regarding the TR; coming along but very SLOOOOOOO.....looks like Jeff will be on his 2nd major before I get my first one done!!!!!hahaha Besides I have all Winter.

I have decided to use the Hylomar sealant product on the O-rings, during re-assembly. I have sealed the valve cover O-rings, and those at the front cam covers. It seems like it will be a better sealer than just oil.......will know next Spring!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Dave:

I live about 10 minut

Dave:

I live about 10 minutes from Agip in Hainesport, NJ. I go and buy my oil over the counter there. They are mainly wholesale at that location, but they have always been happy to sell me whatever I need by the case.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks guys, just curious abou

Thanks guys, just curious about it. Royal Purple is available locally, and with JRV's ringing endorsement, I will give it a try this summer when I am due for a 15k minor service.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts