Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I cleaned up the distr

Tonight I cleaned up the distributor caps and they appear okay, no cracks. Next I checked the plug wires on the 20k ohms scale. All but two wires showd 2.85k ohms or less. The wires for cylinders #9 and #12 would not show anything, and I tried different spots and wiggled them repeatedly. Just what I was NOT hoping for! A former fcar owner has a new factory set of wires for sale for $300. I'm not all that confident in cavis wires. I also seem to recall people sending their wires to someone who made new custom wires for a reasonable cost. I hate sounding like a penny-pincher...but what are my options if any?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Jeff: Since #9 and #12 show n

Jeff: Since #9 and #12 show nothing, these will HAVE to be replaced. Since all the other wires are relatively "normal", I can't see buying a new set for only 2 wires.

I bought a new set of wires.....$500. While my Ohm readings where never zero, they where all over the place.......1.5K to 100K. I just thought it would be better to buy all new ones.

If I where you, I would only replace the 2. I would first try and cut about 1 inch off the wire, where it connects into the distributor, and try another Ohm reading. If good, then re-use.

If not, then I would get generic wires and slip them into the red covers.......DONE!!!!!!!!

I can give you two of my old wires, those that check out good, if you want.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Henry....it seems I can

Thanks Henry....it seems I can always count on you! I wonder how hard it would be to get the off-the-shelf wire through the sleeves? I guess it would take some silicone spray and simply something to pull it through. Thats really a good idea. I could just buy a length of some good quality aftermarket wire, cut to length and put new crimp connectors on and off I'd go. I must say I'm not crazy about how the wires are connected into the dist. caps...that's sort of a hit-n-miss way of doing it. Why did they use the red sleeves anyways..extra insulation? I'll have to buy a crimping tool but that's no biggie.

Have any other folks out there made their own wires..if so how successful? Any pitfalls to watch out for?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Jeff: You could have my whole

Jeff: You could have my whole old wire set. I'm sure you could find 2 good wires...and cut them to length!!!!!!! The new wires came with red sleeves, rubber connectors, and even wire clips that go on the valve covers.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Henry for your generous

Thanks Henry for your generous offer...I'll let you know. I'm really considering looking into some of that Magnecore wire stuff, as this is considered an upgrade to our stock wires. This may end up being more time consuming than expensive. I'll keep you posted as to the developments.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jeff,

Although I understand

Jeff,

Although I understand the cost issues you're dealing with...I'd seriously consider the Magnacore wires. The quality far exceeds the OE Cavis wires, and they're guaranteed for life.

Here's a previous post that discusses ignition issues I went through on my car:

http://www.ferrari-talk.com/discus/messages/5/685.html?1062555417

Steve Brown was the contact at Magnecore.

Regards,
David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Dave...would Magnecore

Thanks Dave...would Magnecore send me just the wire so that I could make my own?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Jeff,

Likely, they would...

Jeff,

Likely, they would...but I'm not sure I'd pursue that route. The biggest problem I've run across with wire sets, Ferrari and others, is the quality, or lack there of, of the crimps. (Actually, with the OE Ferrari Cavis wires, the overall quality wire set to wire set is very inconsistent...As you may know, I'm a pretty big fan of orginal equipment but...I won't install "junk" just 'cause it's original.)

I'm pretty sure they (Magnacore) will sell just the wire in bulk, though. Personally, I'd give Steve a call, and discuss your needs with him. They're very flexible...and in-tune with their customers specific requirements. I went with the 8.5mm wire, which fit the looms and distributor perfectly.

Feel free to drop me a note if you have further questions...

Regards,
David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank You David....I'll ca

Thank You David....I'll call Steve a call tomorrow. I would like to use the original jackets on the wires if possible. The original Cavis wires seem to be 7mm in diameter, so your 8.5mm diameter wires must have pretty much duplicated the originals with the outer jacket. Did you use those little cylinder-number tags on your new wires?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Correct..With the 8.5mm wires,

Correct..With the 8.5mm wires, I wasn't able to use the OE silcone covering, though Magnacore may have that material available to them. The cylinder number tags were supplied, as the OE ones wouldn't fit.

Although the Ferrari wires are 7mm, the insulation is not solid, but rather made up of two layers of material. The Magnacore wires are solid silicone, all the way through...and very flexible with superior isulation and temperature resistant properties.

You may not need the 8.5mm wires, as you're likely running the stock ignition system and compression. On the BB, with the MSD box, HEI coil and high-compression pistons, the wires in the past proved to be the weak link. Hence, I went a little overboard. HA!

Run it by Steve...and get his thoughts.

Regards,
David

1 - 10 of 10 Posts