Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interested in adding "The

Interested in adding "The Tool" as it is commonly referred as, to my collection of tools/parts for my 355 F1 Spider. Need not be new, otherwise I would have ordered through dealership directly.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
>>Pressurizes the F1 c

>>Pressurizes the F1 clutch.<<

That's "quite a tool"....I need one like that for my 'tool box'...!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Not sure what you mean, I woul

Not sure what you mean, I would think you have one. I had the pleasure of having to use this once. Dealership Fed Ex'd it to me as my car would not go out of 1st into neutral. Low on fluid due to leak and unfortunately it was parked on a hill. Hence the name "The Tool".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Maybe Ferrari should build bet

Maybe Ferrari should build better Tranny's (instead of making more "tools")? After all, auto's have been around since the 20's..

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah...it was quite a surprise

Yeah...it was quite a surprise from a car that has not given me any real trouble to speak of. My F1 is a 1998 with 44,500+ miles,I drive it a lot, she is a beauty but not a garage queen. The upside was it was nothing too major,flat bed it to the shop, fix the leak and fill the fluid. Lesson learned...I will be checking ALL my fluids not just the oil on a regular basis (as I have always kept a close eye on the oil due to the fact I drive it more than most, but never the other fluids, left that to the shop during scheduled or unscheduled services until now) and removed the liquid absorbing mats under the cars, so I can better see what is going on.
I tend to purchase parts/tools that I feel are of benefit to have in the future as my baby ages and this item I found quite interesting. But at over a grand for a new one I thought I might see if anyone had one to get rid of.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Tambi,

there are 2 things F

Tambi,

there are 2 things Ferrari shoild be Banned by International Law from touching...one is Covertible Tops..the other is Auto Tranny's!!!!

PS: That "tool" looks like it was designed by "Rube Goldberg"!!!

I have a nice "tool" for them(Ferrari), tell them to call me!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
You are funny (hehehe)

You are funny (hehehe), like your sense of humor and truth. Nice chatting with you. Have a great evening and take care over there.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Actually I have a set on. I p

Actually I have a set on. I put them on after being in Monterey one year and coming out of the Monterey Plaza and rubbing really bad. Of course a year or so later I ended up ripping one off (not sure how that happened), so I had a new set put on. Premier Motorsports put mine on. They are great products, thanks for looking after me and my baby. I truly think everyone should have them installed.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
$1000 would be cheap for this

$1000 would be cheap for this tool from Ferrari, it looks like it was put together with $30 in parts from a hydraulic supply shop.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I just had a few moments to mo

I just had a few moments to more closely look at your skid plates...so these are actually titanium??? Hummm...now that is different....mine are black, don't really know what they are made of - I would guess some sort of composite material. Yours are cool, very cool.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I suppose a grand + is che

I suppose a grand + is cheap, but since I truly hope to never need it again and for the most part just want it for my collection. I would rather not spend that much on it. Frankly I don't care if it was made out of paperclips and rubberbands it got the job done and that's all that mattered on that day. Maybe you should start making them and sell me one. haha.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Forget the tool. A gold member

Forget the tool. A gold membership to AAA is only $85 bucks a year. I went that route instead of buying all the tools. Besides, I can't travel with my tool box anyway. It's too big.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah...No AAA here...no thanks

Yeah...No AAA here...no thanks. Have my tow guy on speed dial...all of his numbers. He is the best even at 3 a.m., always gives me the best of service!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you still have the tool you

If you still have the tool you could take it to a hydraulic shop they may be able to make something similar that would work, but the end fitting that attaches to the tranmission on the car is probably going to be the hard part.

As usual with Ferrari specific tools or items something may be specifically made on it that you can't get anywhere, probably on this the metric sized fitting on the end that attaches to the transmission but you never know, the rest of the tool is just a pressure pump probably that something else could be subsituted, I am sure JRV has had to prime F1 clutches before so he uses an alternative that works the same.

Good Luck, as long as your leak is fixed you'll be fine and never need the tool again.

BTW Did you use the tool yourself where it was parked or have it towed to a shop and fixed?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the info. on possib

Thanks for the info. on possible production ideas.
My car was "nose in" in an area that no tow could get to. So with the car stuck in first and not being able to get it into neutral to start it, the tool was used on the car enable it to be pushed out and up the incline and on to the flatbed. The car left on the flatbed with the tool still in place so the shop could move the car as well upon arrival. I got crash course on using this thing - made some notes and drawings afterwards. The shop fixed the leak all is well now. No I hope never to need it again but it is not a bad thing to have laying around. But I am back to my happy motoring self - so all is good!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts