Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wanted a convertible, to cru

I wanted a convertible, to cruise in, during the summer months.

I was top bidder on a 3.2 (1988) Mondial Cab, on e-bay.......didn't meet reserve, TWICE! The car had a "buy-it-now" price, reduced from $41.9K to $41.5K........haha!

While in Chicago this weekend, I visited the Ferrari dealer. He had a number of 360's, and a BUNCH of Maseratis (sp?)........I felt sorry for the dealer. But, no Mondials. The previous owner of my 88 TR had his F 40 in for service.......30,000 miles.......and still beautiful.

My nephew, and I then went to the Lambo dealer.......he has more of a variety of other cars. Gallardos are basically going for list. I saw a beautiful red/tan MB 320 SL, with hard and soft top..........impulsively, I bought it.

With two Ferraris, and both down right now, I thought, at first, on a Mondail Cab. The more I thought about the silly prices asked for the cars, and parts.......I DO have experience here......I then thought the MB would better fit my needs.

Drove it to Green Bay today, with NO problem. What a beautiful driving machine!!!!!!!!!!! I plan on enjoying it for the summer.

Will consider selling my TR when I am through with the major.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello Hank.....congrats on the

Hello Hank.....congrats on the Mercedes. They are very cool and classy, and high quality too. I too am thinking of getting another Ferrari...I'm thinking of an early 308. For some reason those cars are on my mind all the time lately. I try to talk myself out of it, and say "give it a few days and the urge will pass". But it's been weeks now and I still want one. Maybe some day. So...you'd actually sell your ol'e TR? You two have been through so much together. I would sell my TR to upgrade to a 512TR but that's far into the future for me. Post a pic to two of your new ride. I really like those cars...great lines and proportions, and just the right amount of chrome. They are a real home-run in my book.

I finally finished working on my Caddy STS (various issues)....invented some new cuss words along the way. I now have a few "one time use" tools to sell on ebay...ha ha.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Jeff: I was actually tryin

Hi Jeff: I was actually trying to sell the TR prior to buying the Boxer........but everyone wanted to steal it......so I kept it. That is why I have two Ferraris. I had the TR for 6 years now, and it has NEVER been towed!!!!!!!! The Boxer was my next Ferrari (8th one).......I had it for 2 years. I just don't have the time to put the miles on the cars, as I would like.....I used to put 10K miles on a Ferrari, just in the summer.....when I had only one.

Maybe a 512TR, AFTER the Boxer........will see.

The STS is some car, also.........does it have the Northstar engine? I hear that is really good.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yes it's the northstar, a

Yes it's the northstar, a techno-wonder of a drivetrain. But nothing is easy to fix, and parts are never in stock. So when it's good it's good, and when it's bad.....well you get the idea. I have raced a few Mustangs with the caddy and beat them, but they were the low horsepower v8s types. But the kids freak out when this old man's car screams by them and if the pavement is smooth it will actually bark the tires when it hits second gear. Very impressive for a 4 door sporty sedan.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hu Hentu,

that $41K is quit

Hu Hentu,

that $41K is quite a bit over retail for an 88..maybe they will find a sucker..it is fairly common to look for buyers without a clue in the Exotic game.

CONGRATS on the MB!!!

I was wondering when you had mentioned wanting to own 3 Ferraris how you were going to handle the fun if one day all 3 wouldn't start for some reason..

I'd take a MB convertible any day...

Regards, JRV

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Henry,
Congrats on the MB

Hi Henry,
Congrats on the MB convertible...I always liked the looks and style of those cars. There's just something about German cars that I find appealing, and they all seem to be built well.

As you may know, I bought a new BMW M3 right before winter...and now have had a chance to put some miles on her. Honestly, this is one very fast car that gives a fair degreee of daily excitement. (Though I can't wait to drive the BB again...!)

Regards to all,
David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well, I had my MB now since Sa

Well, I had my MB now since Saturday.........just passed 35K miles. I am using it as my daily driver.........and will do so through out the summer and fall. I had a Mondial convert one time, and the MB is a LOT better car, IMO. I will keep my Camry, and use it in the winter months.

I signed up to two MB sites. It seems that MB does NOT allow parts and service manuals to be sold to the public, so far, for this car.......BUMMER!!!!!!!! I am surprised that while Ferrari manuals are readily available, that is not true for MB.......never thought that I wouldn't be able to get the MB manuals. I e-mailed a MB dealer about the manuals, and haven't even recieved a reply!!!!!!!!!!!

BTW: The highest bids on the 88 Mondial where $28.3K and $28.4K. It seems that the dealer doesn't really know the market for these cars, as JRV has stated. I bought the MB for $26.5K.

Tech support on the sites appears to be minimal......don't people work on their MB's?.......it doesn't seem so. Maybe JRV can join the MB sites and offer his technical help........haha!!!!!!!!!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks JRV: I just signed up.

Thanks JRV: I just signed up......will await my confirmation in the next day or so.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts