Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys, I'm trying to lea

Ok guys, I'm trying to learn as much about the Ferrari 308's as I can, and I hope to buy one in the next 10 months. Anyway, first question was the 308 "Handmade". Also, are all Ferrari's made in the same factory in Italy, or are there other Ferrari factories? If so, where were the 308's made? I know these are dumb questions, but before I start discussing Ferraris with other people, and possibly passing along bad information, I would like to make sure that I have my facts straight.

Thanks,
Brian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
308/328s were handmade to a po

308/328s were handmade to a point,panels were machine stamped steel and hand fitted, frames hand welded, polyester filler sprayed on and hand finished, the same with the leather interiors.

Most of the car was put together via hand fitting so each car is unique in its own way with its own flaws and characteristics.

By comparison the last completely handmade Ferrari was the Boxer, all of the panels were hand beaten over wood bucks along with other items such as headlight trim covers. The frames and everything else were hand fabricated from scratch as well.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jeff, what about the Fe

Thanks Jeff, what about the Ferrari factory in Italy? Is their only one Ferrari factory were all Ferrari's are and were made, or were different cars made at different locations?

Thanks again,
Brian

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The factory is in Maranello It

The factory is in Maranello Italy and was where they assembled the cars. The very early cars they outsourced some of the work to local shops such as frame makers and body makers, but the final assemebly was always at the single Ferrari factory.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks Jeff, that is what I th

Thanks Jeff, that is what I thought, but I wanted to be sure before I opened my mouth :)

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Jeff is right that the final a

Jeff is right that the final assembly is done in Maranello. The bodies were made by scagletti in Turin, unless they had a more local shop. I am not sure how much actual body assembly was done in Maranello and just the panels were sent there, or if a fairly complete shell was what they delivered to the Works.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Look for the book "Inside

Look for the book "Inside Ferrari".....it's a great read! Maybe someone can post the author...it was written as the F40s rolled down the line..

Great photos of them touching up bad spots in the paint.

A good book of the early days has been written by Colombo...Origins of a Legend...or something like that. I'll post from home where I have the whole info!

308GTBs actually were leaded, in the early days of steel body production (1977)....all the 1976s (for the most part) were fibreglass.....

Good luck in your search. I know of a couple of "sleepers", if you get stuck! ;)

Bill Noon of Symbolic Motorcars has a nice glass '76.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all the great info

Thanks for all the great info guys.

Alan, are their any pictures available of that "Glass" 1976 308 that you mentioned?

I know I want to buy a 308, but I am having a hard time deciding which one I want. I like the idea of the carbed 308's and would prefer a 76, or 77, but I also like the look of the QV with the 16" rims and black louvers on the front fenders and front hood.

Still undecided

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't see one listed on

I didn't see one listed on Symbolic's website. Here's mine:

There are some subtle differences compared to the steel version.

Barry

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi, Dr. W!!

It's possib

Hi, Dr. W!!

It's possible Bill Noon sold it, but it was his personal driver.......call him and ask.

He was asking $39K, but as he knew who I was, he said $35K would do it........my financial advisors went off the hook when they heard I was considering a third one! LOL!

I'd rather have that carbed Boxer at Bobileff's, actually......it has a Daytona seat interior...wowza!

"Somebody STOP me"
Jim Carrey, as The Mask

ROTFLMAO!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Grab that Boxer Alan anyway yo

Grab that Boxer Alan anyway you can, you won't regret it, with Daytonas reaching $200k+ next up are the Boxers in a few years beginning with the early ones, they are the most undervalued Ferrari period.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Hi Alan,

I've got to ag

Hi Alan,

I've got to agree with Jeff. Get the Boxer. Any nice carbed Boxer! They're undervalued, like the 365GTC/4s, and you won't go wrong either financially or mentally.

When the time comes for me to part with my GTB (though I doubt I ever will), that's the car I'd get. Or an early Daytona. Those cars caught my eye in the 70s. I always considered the GTB the Boxer's kid brother.

Barry

1 - 13 of 13 Posts