Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
It is S F (not J) and

It is S F (not J) and it stands for Scuderia Ferrari.

My rough translation of Scuderia = Race Team

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For a translation go to [url="

For a translation go to www.wordreference.com. They not only give the meaning of the noun form but all of it's other forms, verb, adjective etc., how the word is used in various sentences.

Thats where I found my handle, SPASSO

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I guess, since I'm Italian

I guess, since I'm Italian, I have to jump into this one.
"Scudo" means "Shield". In the medieval times, in the northern parts of Italy, especially in Tuscany and Emilia Romagna (this last one is the state where Modena is located), there were competitions of armored Knights with their horses. The competitors would form teams that represented each individual small town,city or pricipality, each of these teams had a "Shield of Arms"(like their own flag) for which it was called a "Scuderia". In these way they would organize the teams to fight against each other, to eliminate the loosing Scuderias and to proclaim the winning ones as champions.
Since all this involved horses, I guess "il Commendatore" decided to call his racing team "a scuderia".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Vsabella,

Thank you for the

Vsabella,

Thank you for the clarity. I will always quote you in the future when someone ask me this. I use to say the same that JRV did.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Andrew:
I'm glad I'll

Andrew:
I'm glad I'll be quoted in the future (for something good, that is). It's interesting how a lot of things make more sense when you know the meaning of some words. A "racing team" in Italian would be "Squadra di Corse" (Scuderia sounds better, don't you think?).
The Italian word for "Race" is "Corsa", as in "Rosso Corsa"(Race Red).
In the early days of racing in Europe each Country was randomly assigned an official color to identify their racing cars.
Italy got Red, France got Blue, Green for England, Orange for Belgium an so on.
By the way, cars in Italy are Females, so if you want to say: "my red Ferrari" it would be "la mia Ferrari rossa".
Regards
VS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I thought Scuderia is Stable,

I thought Scuderia is Stable, as in horse stable, in Italian. I guess I was wrong.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I thought Belgium got yellow.

I thought Belgium got yellow. Germans got silver.

Stable was used to describe racing teams also. That's why you see Ecurie every so often. Ecurie meaning stable in French. ie. Ecurie Ecosse, Ecurie Francorchamps. Which brings me full circle into the whole Belgium thing. Ecurie Franchorchamps entered a yellow Ferrari 512M in the 1971 24 Heurs du Mans. Alain de Cadenet of Speed's "Victory by Design" renewed fame was one of the drivers. Forget who the other driver was.

Cheers

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi Oblio:

The correct word

Hi Oblio:

The correct word for "stable" in Italian is "stalla", however you are right, you can also use "scuderia" and be correct.

Regards
VS

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
National Racing colors

[url

National Racing colors

http://www.miata.net/misc/racecolor.html

As you can see, Germany is white.

The Eifelrennen held at the Nurburgring, saw the German cars finished 1-2 with the Mercedes of von Brauchitsch leading the Auto Union of Stuck. Prior to the beginning of the race the Mercedes team created a little excitement when it was found that their cars were 1 kg over the weight limit. Following a suggestion by von Brauchitsch, Alfred Neubauer had the paint from each car removed in order to meet the weight limit, leaving the polished aluminum of the cars exposed and so began the legend of the "Silver Arrows".

G

·
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
What does the word "Scuder

What does the word "Scuderia" really mean and when did it start to be used.
Way back in the late 1950's it was a race team in Australia Scuderia Veloce and today is still the name of the major Ferrari dealers in Australia.
But what does the word Scuderia mean or stand for?
Many said back in the 1950's it meant "Speedy one" but who knows???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
If I understand the question .

If I understand the question ....It is "S" "F' Stable Ferrari. Not a stable of horses but a stable of Ferraris.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts