Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi there,
I just bought a 198

Hi there,
I just bought a 1988 328 GTS. I've read as many of the threads I could about what I should do with the car (other than just drive it -I've already put 800 miles in the last two weeks). My inquiry is really about the small things so that I don't keep messing things up; ie. don't close the trunk with the antenia up, or don't put valuables in the ashtray because it will fall through. What else should I look out for?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
1) Do the regular mainten

1) Do the regular maintenance: fluid changes etc
2) Do the majors when required
3) listen to your car so you know what sounds are normal and what are not
4) Don't close the trunk with the antenna up. Ask me how I know.
5) I took out the inner ash tray & hot-glued black felt to the remaining metal so I could put change, extra fuses, a wire splitter spade, etc in there. no problems will falling through
6) Watch the driver's floor mat doesn't slide up to hit the accelerator pedal. Secure it with "Birdman Carpet Munchers" or some other mechanism to prevent this.
7) Keep it clean and shiny & love it.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you very much. I learne

Thank you very much. I learned the hard way about the antenna and watched it fold under the trunk, what about you? I will follow your advice about the floor mat and I will add the black felt to the ashtray. To keep it shiny I am using an "absorber" instead of a chamoise because it doesn't leave lint on the car. Once again thank you for the helpful suggestions.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yep, bent my antenna shaft. I

Yep, bent my antenna shaft. I couldn't get the whole kink out so I ended up replacing it with a Pep Boys unit. I kept the original drive moter & replaced the shaft. It's a little shorter so it retracts into the fender if I'm not careful. But I don't use the radio much anyway. I checked into the assorted "replacement" antennas, but they are either no longer made or are not drop-in replacements and I didn't want to fool around with re-wiring the OEM switch.

As for washing, I am unconventional. I use a very soft long handled brush similiar to the Meguires but much lighter. Let's me get into the tight spots & under the car. But I repeat, it's VERY SOFT so I doubt there's scratching of the paint. Drying is either a cotton cloth or leather cham followed by WalMart microfiber towels.

BTW: I also use FerrariChat extensively. It's a great source of info. Check out your region, the technical section & the 3x8/Mondi sections. All this has been covered.

Enjoy your car!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Be sure to feed the leather--r

Be sure to feed the leather--regularly.

Ferrari paint like to have a 2 step repocess for best results. The first step uses a sealer/glaze to buf up the paint, and then a coat of wax to prevent future oxidation. I use simple auto-store towels for all of this.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks, I just had the car det

Thanks, I just had the car detailed. It looks great but what should I use on the leather in between (the bone interior may be a difficult color to maintain).

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nevermind on the leather quest

Nevermind on the leather question, there is a link just down the page for it. sorry for the rookie moves.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts