Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A HAWKER HUNTER FIGHTER JET OW

A HAWKER HUNTER FIGHTER JET OWNED AND FLOWN BY MY CLOSE FRIEND JOHN BAINES OF TEXAS. CAPABLE OF 700 MPH AND PRODUCING 10,300 LBS OF THRUST.IT COULD FLY SUPERSONIC IN A SLIGHT DIVE AND IS POWERED BY A ROLLS ROYCE AVON JET ENGINE. THIS AIRCRAFT FIRST FLEW IN THE EARLY 1950's AND HELD THE AIR SPEED WORLD RECORD. JOHN IS FROM ENGLAND WHERE HE FLEW AS A FIGHTER PILOT IN THE ROYAL AIR FORCE, FLYING THE HAWKER HUNTER.IMAGINE PAYING FOR A TUNE UP ON THE JET, NOT TO MENTION FILLING THE TANK WITH JET FUEL FOR A DAYS'OUTING!
HE WENT ON TO FLY COMMERCIAL AIRLINERS FOR AMERICAN AIRLINES FOR A PERIOD OF OVER 30 YEARS. DURING THIS TIME HE WAS QUALIFIED AS CAPTAIN ON SUPER 80, B727, B757, B767, A310, AND DC10.
AFTER RETIRING HE'S BEEN FLYING CONTINOUSLY DELIVERING AIRLINERS THROUGHOUT THE WORLD.HE's PRESENTLY IN THE PROCESS OF DELIVERING SIX B737's FROM SCOTLAND TO ENGLAND.
BELOW ARE JOHN'S TOYS>>>A 1970 LOTUS EUROPA & A 1991 FERRARI MODENA....YOU THINK HE'S A SPEED FREAK!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How cool is that guy?
Way coo

How cool is that guy?
Way cool!
Mr Baines reminds me of Bob Lutz (of Swiss Air Force and Chrysler and GM) who my friend Vicki knows in Detroit. She says Mr. Lutz has MiGs at some Detroit airport that he "relaxes" with!

And is that (the) "Breadvan" Ferrari in the driveway?
WOW!

Somewhere online, I think there's video of exotic cars racing some fighter(s) down an adjacent runway! I want to say it's the Italian "Tricolori" aerobatic team- vs- Italian exotics. But I don't know. A video search at Google for "fighter, exotic car" might turn up a link.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
JOHN BAINES TAXING OUT OF THE

JOHN BAINES TAXING OUT OF THE HANGAR FOR A SPIN IN HIS HAWKER HUNTER FIGHTER PLANE>>>>ABOVE ARE JOHN'S TOYS>>>A 1970 LOTUS EUROPA THAT HE'S OWNED FOR 35 YEARS & A 1991 FERRARI MODENA

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Here's a photo of Mr Lutz

Here's a photo of Mr Lutz
http://media.popularmechanics.com/images/9802STMIB.jpg

I think I was wrong about the MiG. It's easy to imagine someone like my friend Vicki thinking that, if it came from the Eastern Bloc, it must be a Mikoyan-Guryevich (MiG) fighter.

According to a Popular Mechanics story, all Mr Lutz may have is a Czech L39 trainer (smart from a maintenance standpoint)
http://www.popularmechanics.com/science/aviation/1280571.html

The Air Force Thunderbirds I've talked with about Soviet/ Russian aircraft all agreed that they'd like to fly the Sukoi 27.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Sorry to be such a spaz in pos

Sorry to be such a spaz in posting stuff that may not be true:
Bob Lutz may not be Swiss.
From the Popular Mechanics article (above) he sounds all-American (Marine). Somehow, I recall Vicki mentioning he was Swiss or German.

Anmyway, the same article talks about Hoot Gibson, the astronaut, flying Mig21's and F-4's and liking the Mig better in a dogfight scenario.

I met Mr Gibson at the Rockwell chalet during the Paris Air Show, 1987; where I was on assignnment for Aviation Week Video. He's a really cool and nice guy. I remember he and I joking about something we'd just overheard in the chalet:
Some Rockwell bigshot (like the Chairman) wanted to hire Oliver North's hot secretary Fawn Hall, who was in the news then. Yummy!
http://www.laserradio.com/parisairshow.rm

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Cool Links Wyo....always wonde

Cool Links Wyo....always wondered about the MIG 21's capabilities, now I know!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts