Ferrari Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A 1990 348ts has been made ava

A 1990 348ts has been made available to me for what I would consider to be a low price. The only catch is he did the maintenance himself. I told a friend of mine about the car (He's a collecter of Italian cars) and he said If it were him he would walk away. I would like your Imput on this matter?

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Absolutely...!

If the owner

Absolutely...!

If the owner is competent, knowledgeable and has the means, what's the difference? Having spent the last 25 years of my life assciated with the automobile service industry, the myth that you get better service at a dealership is total nonsense. Sure, there are some great dealers...but sadly, they are few and far between. The inherent "flat-rate" structure, found at most dealerships precludes truly quality workmanship.

Maintenance is maintenance...and maintaining a Ferrari is no different than most other cars. Their degree of technical complexity, for the most part...is substantial less than comparable cars of the same era.

I would seriously look at the car...and have a PPI done. That surely will tell the story.

Regards,
David

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I completey concur with David!

I completey concur with David!

do a PPI and go from there.

Regards, JRV

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
In my own experience, a mechan

In my own experience, a mechanically inclined owner (with pride of ownership) will be more attentive to details when servicing his car. Usually more aware of the minor things a car needs to be fully maintained. Just beware of the owner that knows just enough to turn a wrench but really doesn't know what he is doing or is too lazy to care.

A PPI will give you insight into just how thorough the maintenance was allowing you to base your purchase on the merits of the car as opposed to buying on the merits of a stack of paper.

The PPI AND the stack of paper would be nice!

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
It really depends on the quali

It really depends on the quality of work, and if they have it documented properly.

I think I know the 348 you are talking about. If it is the one I think it is, then the car is just fine. But just to put yourself at ease, get a ppi done. I have no doubt the car will pass, if we are talking about the same 348. The black one that is on ebay, right? The owner documented everything that he did on the 30k, and was very meticulous about. In my opinion it is a good car, at a great price.

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yeah I thought it was. Just so

Yeah I thought it was. Just so you know he is a mechanical engineer. He really did do a nice job maitaining it himself. You'll be getting a great deal, on a nice car.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts